COMM 231 – Intro to Marketing: Dr. Laurence Ashworth
• Segmentation = discovering groups within society that share the same needs.
- Marketing starts with segmentation, and it’s very hard to do
• You have to segment the market with a new product
• Marketing is not just promotion
• Marketing is engaging in exchange: trading value for money
• Satisfying a need is a rewarding experience
• Violence satisfies a need for dominance
• We satisfy needs through consumption
• Marketing process as it relates to needs:
- Needs are at the heart of marketing
- Marketers attempt to understand consumer’s needs
- Think about which groups of people have particular needs
- Which of those groups can the company satisfy?
- Use marketing tools to create a desirable product offering
• Don’t ever just rely on what customers tell you
• Product offering: what tools do marketers use for you to engage in their product?
- 4 P’s: product, price, place, promotion