Study Guides (248,404)
Canada (121,536)
HLTH 101 (32)
Final

Final Exam Review These are all the notes, covered on the final exam, starting with topic 10. I apologize for any stupid jokes in the notes :D

36 Pages
Unlock Document

Department
Health Studies
Course
HLTH 101
Professor
Glenn Ward
Semester
Winter

Description
HLTH 101 Fall 2010st 1902 1 inherited diseasealkaptonuria dark urineGarrod 1909Inborn Errors of MetabolismBoth classical and molecular o Classical search for heritable traitsie genetic epidemiologyo Molecular geneticsAssesses nature of genetic contribution whats the genetic code and what protein does it code for etcManipulation of genetic information directly o QuestionsHow are genes important to heathHow important are genes to healthImplicationsDiagnosis not diagnosed geneticallyScreeningTreatmentPrevention1 Sickle Cell Disease a Heterozygotes are not intermediary severityneed both affected alleles to possess disease i 3040 RBC affected ii African Americans 8 with trait iii 015025 with Sickle Cell Anemia iv Some parts of Nigeria more than 30 with trait b Treatment i Current 1 Antibiotics for infections 2 Transfusions 3 Treatment for pain 4 Stimulation of the production of fetal Hb hemoglobin a Hb Fg subunit not a or b subunit b Younger than 6 months of age c Hydroxyurea i Toxic to RBC free radical production ii Stimulates the production of Hb F iiiReduces hospitalization Sickle Cell crises mortality iv But also could be a mutagen or carcinogen v 2000 study study HLTH 101 Fall 20101 Mortality to SCA 10x more than mortality to Cancer 5 Interdisciplinary health approach a Newborn screening in target population b Registration c Vaccines parent education monitoring d Treatment ii Potential approaches 1 Stem cell treatment a Erythroid progenitor cells 2 Gene therapy a Insert normal Hb gene leading to RBC precursor cells 3 Cost Comitment 2 Phenylketonuria PKU a Pathologyno PAH Phenylalanine hormone activity in liver enzymes i Increase in phe in blood leading to phenolpyruvic acid 1 Affect brain development ii Lower production of tyrosine 1 Catecholamine precursor 2 Decrease of catecholamines b Molecular Genetics1980s loss of PAH gene or chromosome 12 c Treatment i Reactive Intervention 1 None ii Prevention 1 Reduce phenylalanine levels through diet a Begin after birth b When stop i 68 y small decrease in IQ ii Today through life iiiEspecially if pregnant c Diet unwieldy unpalatable inconvenient d Decreased compliance as age increases d Interdisciplinary health approach i Provide Special diet ii Monitor phenylalanine levels iii Educate children and parents iv Social support e Experimental approach i Replace enzymes 1 Plant enzyme phenylalanine ammonia lyase a Metabolize phenylalanine b Consume with phenylalanine 2 DNA clone expression phenylalanine hydroxidase a Insert into liver precursor cells 3 Huntingtons Disease a Pathology HLTH 101 Fall 2010i Late onset usually ii Problem with voluntary motor movements iii Mental deterioration iv Decrease of neurons throughout CNS central nervous system v 1020 yrs death b Genetics i Dominant 1 Affected parent leads to at leastchildren affected 2 Both sexes a Autosomal not sexlinked b From father earlier onset c Molecular Genetics i 1983 marker on chromosome 4 1 Protein huntingtin about 3100 AA 2 Variable number of glutamines a CAG codon repeats 3 Brain pathology unclear 4 Number of repeats leads to increased probability of further mutations a Above 30 repeats odds are increased significantly b Increased mitoses lead to an increase in risk 5 From father often leads to a heightened severity 6 Anticipation worsens with each generation 4 Fragile X Syndrome a Pathology i Mental retardation ii Increased severity in males only one x chromosome b Genetics i Xlinked inherited men can only give it to their daughters mothers can give it to both 1 FMR 1 gene Fragilesite Mental Retardation 2 Unstable trinucleotide repetition 3 Normal649 repeats 4 Premutational50200 repeats increased susceptibility to repeats 5 Mutation between 200 and 1700 repeats ii Mutation in males and females 1 Females deactivate 1X chromosome in each cell a Mosaics b Some cells mutate 2 Decreased effectiveness 5 Summary and Implications a Gene sufficient cause for disease b Do ID identificationcause and treatment of genetic diseases depend on isolation of gene c ID gene lead to understanding of pathology d ID molecular mechanism of gene action lead to effective treatment e Understanding genetic diseases dependent on genetic research only
More Less

Related notes for HLTH 101

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit