LLCU 214 Midterm: Test 2 General Knowledge

5 Pages

Department
Languages, Literatures and Cultures
Course Code
LLCU 214
Professor
Donato Santeramo

This preview shows pages 1-2. Sign up to view the full 5 pages of the document.
Test 2 General Knowledge
Godfather 1:
-Introduction to the Corleone family
-Other Mafia families in New York want to get in the Drug business, Vito Corleone insists that it
is dangerous and refuses to accept the new way of business and is eventually hunted down
-Sonny takes in charge of the family but is later ambushed at a toll booth
-Michael takes over and has everyone killed that had betrayed their family
Godfather 2:
-Young Vito Corleone growing up in Sicily where his whole family was murdered and he fled to
America
-Vito lost his job in New York because Don Fanucci who was a part of the black hand a local
extortionist, which he then joins up with Peter Clemenza to make their own mafia/gang
-Michael kills Fredo his brother after his mother had died
-Michael also brings the brother of Pentangeli to the hearing and denies all his previous
statements against the Corleone family
Godfather 3:
-The involvement and connection to Catholic church
-Mafia (Corleone family) sees themselves as a quasi-religious group
-The Mafia gave out charitable donations to make them look like valiant citizens (for respect)
-Want to be seen as legit capitalist who participate in advancement of social issues
-Zasa ist the taito ho odeed the heliopte attak ut Altoello helped
-Mary gets shot instead of Michael
Godfather themes
1) Public vs Private
a. There is a clear line between public and private lives of mobsters
b. Double life- one in the light, and one in the shadows
2) Power
a. The ebbs and flows of power
b. The manipulations of power
3) Tradition
a. Many of the rules and rituals of the Mafia in America come from the old world
4) Loyalty
a. Loyalty is currency
b. A man’s word is more valuable than his money
5) Business Vs Personal
a. It is important to make decisions that are best for the Family and not of personal
vendetta
find more resources at oneclass.com
Religious Symbols:
-Initiation rites impart a pseudo-spiritual authority to the Mafia
-Joining a religious order, with punishment, oaths, rituals, rules of conduct and practices.
- Ritual reinforces the sense of belonging/ the importance of what is being done
-Without rituals and symbolisms, criminal organizations would have a harder time maintain
crucial emotional bonds among their members that keep them intact
-Adopting a code allows the Mafia to endure across generation
-No sense of guilt through confessing their sins
Two ways religion is exploited by the Mafia
-expecting members of the mob to show devotion to the Church
-the other is to adopt and adapt religious symbols and rites for its own purpose
For Mafia religion helps Mafiosi justify their actions to themselves, to each other and to their
families killing in the name of something higher than money and power and usually it is
Hoo ad Poe
Ex: Hells Angels (on Christmas they give out gifts to kids)
Initiation
-A blood oath and an oath of obedience
-Bound for life
-Involves burning an image of a saint and reciting an oath of secrecy and obedience clan
leader will cut candidates trigger finger blood symbolizes both his own death and that he will
eventually have to kill if he betrays the clan he will burn like the saint in his hand
-Fire represents purification and the attainment of wisdom
Appearance:
-clothes constitute a special kind of nonverbal language. Because they are worn on bodies, they
ae peeied as etesios of oes phsial appeaae
-the early Mafiosi put on a public face of modesty, not gaudy ostentatious fashion
-in the era of prohibition gangsters were among the best dressed patrons of the night clubs
establishing a gangster chic that common people tried to imitate
Fedora symbol of a successful man
Colos attat flies if you dress in an elegant way you will attract the attention of the police
therefore the message was dress humble to not attract attention
-Such symbolism is effective because it allows communication to take place by suggestion or
iuedo athe tha dietl, thus eatig a eaig atosphee that allos fo theats to
be made more successfully than if the threats were blatant.

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Test 2 General Knowledge Godfather 1: -Introduction to the Corleone family -Other Mafia families in New York want to get in the Drug business, Vito Corleone insists that it is dangerous and refuses to accept the new way of business and is eventually hunted down -Sonny takes in charge of the family but is later ambushed at a toll booth -Michael takes over and has everyone killed that had betrayed their family Godfather 2: -Young Vito Corleone growing up in Sicily where his whole family was murdered and he fled to America -Vito lost his job in New York because Don Fanucci who was a part of the black hand a local extortionist, which he then joins up with Peter Clemenza to make their own mafia/gang -Michael kills Fredo his brother after his mother had died -Michael also brings the brother of Pentangeli to the hearing and denies all his previous statements against the Corleone family Godfather 3: -The involvement and connection to Catholic church -Mafia (Corleone family) sees themselves as a quasi-religious group -The Mafia gave out charitable donations to make them look like valiant citizens (for respect) -Want to be seen as legit capitalist who participate in advancement of social issues -Zasa isnt the traitor who ordered the helicopter attack but Altobello helped -Mary gets shot instead of Michael Godfather themes 1) Public vs Private a. There is a clear line between public and private lives of mobsters b. Double life- one in the light, and one in the shadows 2) Power a. The ebbs and flows of power b. The manipulations of power 3) Tradition a. Many of the rules and rituals of the Mafia in America come from the old world 4) Loyalty a. Loyalty is currency b. A mans word is more valuable than his money 5) Business Vs Personal a. It is important to make decisions that are best for the Family and not of personal vendettaReligious Symbols: -Initiation rites impart a pseudo-spiritual authority to the Mafia -Joining a religious order, with punishment, oaths, rituals, rules of conduct and practices. - Ritual reinforces the sense of belonging/ the importance of what is being done -Without rituals and symbolisms, criminal organizations would have a harder time maintain crucial emotional bonds among their members that keep them intact -Adopting a code allows the Mafia to endure across generation -No sense of guilt through confessing their sins Two ways religion is exploited by the Mafia -expecting members of the mob to show devotion to the Church -the other is to adopt and adapt religious symbols and rites for its own purpose For Mafia religion helps Mafiosi justify their actions to themselves, to each other and to their families killing in the name of something higher than money and power and usually it is Honor and Power Ex: Hells Angels (on Christmas they give out gifts to kids) Initiation -A blood oath and an oath of obedience -Bound for life -Involves burning an image of a saint and reciting an oath of sec
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit