PHIL 115 Study Guide - Final Guide: Megagon, Myriagon, Gilbert Ryle

131 views8 pages
Locke (A realist, empiricist):
Argues against the doctrine of innate/natural ideas
Against Descartes he used Ockhams ‘azo: Do ot ultipl etities eod eessit.
o When two theories are given, we should choose the theory that is more simpler
Says we can adequately explain experience and knowledge without innate (natural) ideas
o We acquire ideas through senses
o Prior to sense experience, the mind is a blank tablet (tabula rasa) like a sheet of white paper with
nothing written on it; Thus, seso epeiee eas that ideas ae itte o the id.
Ideas of the mind are acquired through sensation and reflection (on our senses)
o We get sensations from the motion of bodies (bodies are real)
o Lokes episteolog assues the eistee of eteal odily reality
o Assumes God is creator of bodies with sense organs that puts us in touch with external reality
Locke’s arguets that reject the existence of innate ideas:
It would be rude to suppose that ideas, such the idea of colors innate in a creature, were originally
imprinted in the mind
Ideas are formed when a man thinks, so there cant be ideas without thinking
Baies dot hae iate ideas, e aot hae ideas he sleepig, ideas are present to the senses
before they are present to reason
If ideas were innate then we would have them all at once rather than acquiring them over time as we do
Locke on extension, solidity and hardness:
1. We receive the idea of solidity by the sense of touch (essential to body)
o A body resisting the entrance of any other body into the place it occupies
2. This resistance where a body keeps other bodies out of its space is so great that no force can over come it.
(Distinguishes idea of solidity from pure space and hardness)
3. Hardness is a firm cohesion of the parts of matter that is large enough to be perceptible, so that the whole
thig doest easil hage its shape Hadest stoe ist more solid than water)
4. This idea of solidity marks off the extension of body from the extension of space
Primary quality vs. Secondary quality
Primary qualities (representative ideas):
Resemble qualities that are possessed by the bodies that we sense
Inseparable from bodies and are what bodies have in themselves, independently of being sensed by
anyone; they are perceiver independent qualities
Connected to occupation of space, may be experienced through senses (solidity, extension,
figure/shape, motion/rest, number)
Secondary qualities:
Do not resemble the qualities of the bodies in themselves, although they are caused by the actions of
bodies on our senses; they are perceiver dependent qualities
Power to produce sensations in us (colors, sounds, taste, smell)
Berkeley’s Counter point to Locke
Esse est percipi (to be is to be perceived)
Bekele suppots Lokes olusio that seoda ualities ae peeie depedet of a ojet (Eg.
bucket of water experiment)
Berkeley concludes that primary qualities are also perceiver dependent (Eg. Perception of shape); thus,
primary qualities do not exist.
Problems with his conclusion:
o Seems to imply that things cease to exist when they are not perceived by someone
o Seems as if there is a world independent of the subjective experience of any perceiver
Bekeles solution: The world is a perception in the mind of God
More error:
o Abstraction is a process of reflection (in Lockes defiitio), but Berkeley objects that it is rather
distortions of original perceptions; reflection is the source of error
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-3 of the document.
Unlock all 8 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
Berkely’s Otology (an empiricist; emphasis on Minds + Ideas and excludes Matter):
o There are no material objects (no matter) but only finite (our minds, which have various perceptions) and
infinite (God who perceives all the perceivable) mental substances
o Finite minds include ideas and knowledge that are directly experienced
o Minds are active (reflections/imagination of ideas) but we cannot actively produce sensations,
therefore these are produced God (stability of reality, popping in and out of existence)
o Mind is known by interference from its effects (ideas/perceptions)
o Ideas are passive ad dot do athig
o Does not assume God but assumes causality
David Hume (atheist; empiricist objection to Berkeley’s Otology):
o The mind contains two kinds of perceptions: impressions and ideas
o The mind is not a place where ideas arrive; we do not experience our mind, but rather a bundle of ideas
o Denies both direct knowledge of our minds ad Gods ifeee to ou ids
o Argues that we are mistaken about our self; and uestios idetity’ ad saeess’; the idea of an
object that remains unchanged as tie passes
o 2 different mental activities of imagination:
1. 1. Thinking about a sequence of related objects requires almost same amount of effort and feels the
same as the activity in 2
2. Thinking about one uninterrupted and invariable/never-changing object
o Hume says we are getting confused about ideas because they resemble each other very closely; as if they
were ideas of the same thing. Our mental journey across these similar ideas makes it seem as if we were
watching the motion/movie of one single thing (series of still photographs)
With Berkeley we lost matter, with Hume we lose mental substance as well.
Descartes (rationalist) Meditation 1:
He doubts what can be doubted but this does not prove that beliefs that can be doubted are false
Whatee eliefs hae oe to e though the seses, hih I ould e fooled/deeied fo
Experiences in dreams come from somewhere; the components of the dreams must be from reality, (e.g.
the horns and horses are real although he dreams of unicorns)
The components of how imagination works (color, shape, size..) could be placed together by our
imagination to generate objects of imagination
If God is supremely good, he ouldt allo me to be deceived or to have made me so I constantly
deceive myself; however, a deceitful God cannot be ruled out
Meditation 2:
He denies that God put these doubts in his head; usig Okhas azo aguet dot oe opliate
things)
Aristotle says there are nutritive souls (plants), sensitive souls (animals=sensation and movement), and
rational souls (humans)
“oul is isepaale fo the od ad is diffeet theo tha the ghost i the ahie hih Plato
believed as the pneumatic soul (Pneuma=breath)
o Ghost i the ahie is hat Gilet ‘le ought up
Descartes rejects any view of soul
I ode to idetif hat I is, he osides ho e oe to ko of a piee of a just take fo a
honeycomb. He first considers what he knows about the piece of wax (taste, smell, color, and other
senses) and what happens when wax is melted near a fire. All of these sensible qualities change (becomes
flexible, extended). It is impossible to see all the infinite number of shapes the wax could turn into (the
megagon problem).
Meditation 6:
He cannot doubt God (perfect, exists), that he is a thinking thing, and certain ideas are clear and distinct
while others are confused
He is a rationalist, father of analytical geometry, invented Cartesian geometry
He knows that material things (matter) can exist and is possible
Explains two kinds of active mental activity (Imagination and Pure Intellection):
Unlock document

o Chilliagon-1000 sides; Myriagon 10,000 sides; Megagon 1 million sides
o We will have difficulty imagining a chilliagon/myriadgon but not a triangle
o Ideas of the intellect are clear and distinct, whereas the ideas of the imagination are confused
(Imagining a chili,mega,myriagon is vague while through intellect, they are distinct geometric
shapes)
Pure intellection is independent of sensory experience; it can proceed without sensory experience (we
dot hae to see tiagles to thik aout the
He cannot think of more possible explanations, so he says we have reasons to believe that body probably
does exist, God exists, and mind, and matter exists.
o Body is the intensional object of mathematical thought.
Whatever is described my geometry must be located in space, and occupies it; thus
bodies are extended.
Bodies are defined spatially; are characterized by extension; divisible, and are the cause
of sensations
Mind is not defined spatially; does not have an extension; indivisible; it is one thing; a thinking agent.
Sensation is passive:
o He cannot produce sensations simply by a pure effort of the mind.
o God cannot be the direct cause of sensation because God is not deceptive, as sensations are
Pineal Gland (specific part of brain which functions as the interface) is involved in sensation, imagination,
memory, and cause of bodily movements
Treatise of Man: Descartes says the bodies are machines made of earth, which God forms with the
explicit intention of making it as much as possible like us. This provides an explanation of digestion of food,
sleepig, akig…. eteal sese ogas.
Cartesian mind body problem:
Descartes dedicated his Principles of Philosophy to Princess Elizabeth of Bohemia
Piess Elizaeth of Boheia odes hat the id is; gie that it eists aodig to Desates
even when there is no thinking (unconscious person or fetus), believes in innate ideas
o Elizabeth examines that for one thing to move another, there must be contact between the two;
Desates sas shes akig a atego istake
Descartes explains the category mistake by comparing it to the way people think about how a oks
weight causes it to move.
o The idea that weight is a property of the rock might be interpreted wrongly and thought to be
something distinct from the rock itself
Gilbert Ryle explains the category mistake using a pair of gloves, asking how many things he has when
holding a right and left glove (but also a pair of gloves)
o Vie of self as ghost i the ahie
Asels Otologial Aguet:
God is soethig hih othig geate a e iagied ho eists ad aoe ho sas Thee is o
God is a fool
Agues that he the fool heas hat Asel is saig something than which nothing greater can be
iagied he understands what he hears and what he understands is in his understanding even if he does
not understand that it is
Gauilos Ojetio:
Reduction ad absurdum: if one argument is absurd, so is the structurally analogous one
The lost/perfect island argument:
Anselm says:
God is a being which no greater can be conceived
If one agrees to this, God exists in your understanding
If God only exists in understanding, something greater could be conceived, but it is impossible for
anything else to be greater. Thus, God exists in reality.
Gaunilo says:
The Lost Island is an island which no greater can be conceived
Unlock document

Document Summary

Locke (a realist, empiricist): argues against the doctrine of innate/natural ideas, against descartes he used ockham(cid:859)s azo(cid:396): (cid:862)do (cid:374)ot (cid:373)ultipl(cid:455) e(cid:374)tities (cid:271)e(cid:455)o(cid:374)d (cid:374)e(cid:272)essit(cid:455). (cid:863, when two theories are given, we should choose the theory that is more simpler. Ideas of the mind are acquired through sensation and reflection (on our senses: we get sensations from the motion of bodies (bodies are real) Lo(cid:272)ke(cid:859)s episte(cid:373)olog(cid:455) assu(cid:373)es the e(cid:454)iste(cid:374)(cid:272)e of e(cid:454)te(cid:396)(cid:374)al (cid:271)odily reality: assumes god is creator of bodies with sense organs that puts us in touch with external reality. Locke"s argu(cid:373)e(cid:374)ts that reject the existence of innate ideas: It would be rude to suppose that ideas, such the idea of colors innate in a creature, were originally imprinted in the mind. Ideas are formed when a man thinks, so there cant be ideas without thinking: ba(cid:271)ies do(cid:374)(cid:859)t ha(cid:448)e i(cid:374)(cid:374)ate ideas, (cid:449)e (cid:272)a(cid:374)(cid:374)ot ha(cid:448)e ideas (cid:449)he(cid:374) sleepi(cid:374)g, ideas are present to the senses before they are present to reason.