Week 14 Exam Notes

4 Pages

Department
Psychology
Course Code
PSYC 100
Professor
Prof.

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 4 pages of the document.

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
GENETICS Nature vs. Nurture Debate: • Two views on the origin of behaviour: Nativism and Empiricism • Nativism: we are born with behaviour • Empiricism: behaviour comes from experience as we interact with our environment • DNA (deoxyribonucleic acid): strands of sugar and phosphate connected by nucleotide basis • Gene: sequence of nucleotide bases along DNA o Contain instructions for proteins that affect behaviour o No explicit genes for behaviour • Chromosomes: are threadlike structures of DNA o Genes are located on chromosomes o The point where the gene is located is the locus o We inherit 23 chromosomes from each parent • Sex chromosomes and autosomes • Alleles are the alternative forms of genes o Homozygous: 2 of the same alleles on both chromosomes of the pair  Recessive traits occur only when the individual is homozygous for the trait o Heterozygous: 2 different alleles on both chromosomes of the pair  Dominant traits are show when the individual is heterozygous for the trait • Genotype is the genetic makeup of a trait • Phenotype: how the trait is expressed Polygenic Inheritance: • Some behaviours are inherited based on many genes • Causes a continuum of behaviour • Studied by using identical and fraternal twins o Identical (monozygotic) twins come from the same egg and have identical genotypes o Fraternal (dizygotic) twins come from different eggs and are no more similar than any other siblings • Concordance research studies the similarity of traits between twins o Twins are concordant for a trait if both express or do not express it o They are discordant for a trait if only one expresses it o Concordance is higher for identical twins (trait is influenced by genetics) • Genetic influence is measured by heritability (h^2) o Heritability: the estimated amount of variability in a trait (in a given population at a given time) due to genetic factors  More a trait influenced by genetic factors = greater heritability Studying Behavioural Genetics: • Mendelian traits show dominant or recessive patterns of inheritance • Non-Mendelian traits are usually polygenic and show continuous variation in the phenotype INTELLIGENCE Intelligence is a person’s ability to: • Lean and remember information • Recognize concepts and their relations • Apply information to their own behaviour Spearman’s Two-Factor Theory: • Performance on a test is determined by: o G factor: general factor, accounts for moderate correlations among different tests o S factor: factor specific to a particular test • Factor analysis: identifies common factors and groups of tests o If a person scores high on a set of tests, these tests likely measure the same factor o g (common factor for general intelligence) – comes from fact that all measures of intelligence are positively correlated • Gf = fluid intelligence o Defined by culture free tasks such as the ability to see relations among objects o Potential ability to learn and solve problems • Gc = crystallized intelligence o Definied by culture dependent information such as vocabulary and information learned in schools o What a person has accomplished with fluid intelligence Information Processing Theory (Sternberg’s triarchic theory of intelligence): • Analytical intelligence: mental mechanisms people use to plan and perform tasks; 3 components: o Metacomponents: decide the nature of the problem, select a strategy and choose resources o Performance components: process us
More Less
Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit