study guide

6 Pages

Department
Finance
Course Code
FIN 300
Professor
Scott Anderson

This preview shows pages 1-2. Sign up to view the full 6 pages of the document.
CHAPTER 12
SOME LESSONS FROM CAPITAL MARKET HISTORY
Answers to Concepts Review and Critical Thinking Questions
1. They all wish they had! Since they didn’t, it must have been the case that the stellar
performance was not foreseeable, at least not by most.
2. As in the previous question, its easy to see after the fact that the investment was terrible, but
it probably wasnt so easy ahead of time.
3. No, stocks are riskier. Some investors are highly risk averse, and the extra possible return
doesn’t attract them relative to the extra risk.
4. On average, the only return that is earned is the required return—investors buy assets with returns in
excess of the required return (positive NPV), bidding up the price and thus causing the return to fall to
the required return (zero NPV); investors sell assets with returns less than the required return
(negative NPV), driving the price lower and thus the causing the return to rise to the required return
(zero NPV).
5. The market is not weak form efficient.
6. Yes, historical information is also public information; weak form efficiency is a subset of semi-strong
form efficiency.
7. Ignoring trading costs, on average, such investors merely earn what the market offers; the trades all
have zero NPV. If trading costs exist, then these investors lose by the amount of the costs.
8. Unlike gambling, the stock market is a positive sum game; everybody can win. Also, speculators
provide liquidity to markets and thus help to promote efficiency.
9. The EMH only says, within the bounds of increasingly strong assumptions about the information
processing of investors, that assets are fairly priced. An implication of this is that, on average, the
typical market participant cannot earn excessive profits from a particular trading strategy. However,
that does not mean that a few particular investors cannot outperform the market over a particular
investment horizon. Certain investors who do well for a period of time get a lot of attention from the
financial press, but the scores of investors who do not do well over the same period of time generally
get considerably less attention from the financial press.
10. a. If the market is not weak form efficient, then this information could be acted on and a profit
earned from following the price trend. Under ii, iii, and iv, this information is fully impounded
in the current price and no abnormal profit opportunity exists.
b.Under ii, if the market is not semi-strong form efficient, then this information could be used to
buy the stock “cheap before the rest of the market discovers the financial statement anomaly.
Since ii is stronger than i, both imply that a profit opportunity exists; under iii and iv, this
information is fully impounded in the current price and no profit opportunity exists.
c.Under iii, if the market is not strong form efficient, then this information could be used as a
profitable trading strategy, by noting the buying activity of the insiders as a signal that the stock
www.notesolution.com
is underpriced or that good news is imminent. Since i and ii are weaker than iii, all three imply
that a profit opportunity exists. Under iv, this information does not signal any profit opportunity
for traders; any pertinent information the manager-insiders may have is fully reflected in the
current share price.
Solutions to Questions and Problems
NOTE: All end of chapter problems were solved using a spreadsheet. Many problems require multiple
steps. Due to space and readability constraints, when these intermediate steps are included in this
solutions manual, rounding may appear to have occurred. However, the final answer for each problem is
found without rounding during any step in the problem.
Basic
1. The return of any asset is the increase in price, plus any dividends or cash flows, all divided by the
initial price. The return of this stock is:
R = [($72 – 64) + 1.75] / $64 = .1523 or 15.23%
2. The dividend yield is the dividend divided by price at the beginning of the period price, so:
Dividend yield = $1.75 / $64 = .0273 or 2.73%
And the capital gains yield is the increase in price divided by the initial price, so:
Capital gains yield = ($72 – 64) / $64 = .1250 or 12.50%
3. Using the equation for total return, we find:
R = [($55 – 64) + 1.75] / $64 = –.1133 or –11.33%
And the dividend yield and capital gains yield are:
Dividend yield = $1.75 / $64 = .0273 or 2.73%
Capital gains yield = ($55 – 64) / $64 = –.1406 or –14.06%
4. a. Average (arithmetic) return (Table 12.1) = 12.02%
b. Average (arithmetic) return (Table 12.1) = 8.90%
5. a. Average (geometric) return (Table 12.1) = 10.89%. The arithmetic return is larger by 1.13%.
b. Average (geometric) return (Table 12.1) = 8.72%. The arithmetic return is larger by 0.18%.
6. a. The total dollar return is the increase in price plus the coupon payment, so:
Total dollar return = $1,080 – 1,050 + 90 = $120
b. The total percentage return of the bond is:
R = [($1,080 – 1,050) + 90] / $1,050 = .1143 or 11.43%
Notice here that we could have simply used the total dollar return of $120 in the numerator of this
equation.
www.notesolution.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
CHAPTER 12 SOME LESSONS FROM CAPITAL MARKET HISTORY Answers to Concepts Review and Critical Thinking Questions 1. They all wish they had! Since they didnt, it must have been the case that the stellar performance was not foreseeable, at least not by most. 2. As in the previous question, its easy to see after the fact that the investment was terrible, but it probably wasnt so easy ahead of time. 3. No, stocks are riskier. Some investors are highly risk averse, and the extra possible return doesnt attract them relative to the extra risk. 4. On average, the only return that is earned is the required returninvestors buy assets with returns in excess of the required return (positive NPV), bidding up the price and thus causing the return to fall to the required return (zero NPV); investors sell assets with returns less than the required return (negative NPV), driving the price lower and thus the causing the return to rise to the required return (zero NPV). 5. The market is not weak form efficient. 6. Yes, historical information is also public information; weak form efficiency is a subset of semi-strong form efficiency. 7. Ignoring trading costs, on average, such investors merely earn what the market offers; the trades all have zero NPV. If trading costs exist, then these investors lose by the amount of the costs. 8. Unlike gambling, the stock market is a positive sum game; everybody can win. Also, speculators provide liquidity to markets and thus help to promote efficiency. 9. The EMH only says, within the bounds of increasingly strong assumptions about the information processing of investors, that assets are fairly priced. An implication of this is that, on average, the typical market participant cannot earn excessive profits from a particular trading strategy. However, that does not mean that a few particular investors cannot outperform the market over a particular investment horizon. Certain investors who do well for a period of time get a lot of attention from the financial press, but the scores of investors who do not do well over the same period of time generally get considerably less attention from the financial press. 10. a. If the market is not weak form efficient, then this information could be acted on and a profit earned from following the price trend. Under ii, iii, and iv, this information is fully impounded in the current price and no abnormal profit opportunity exists. b. Under ii, if the market is not semi-strong form efficient, then this information could be used to buy the stock cheap before the rest of the market discovers the financial statement anomaly. Since ii is stronger than i, both imply that a profit opportunity exists; under iii and iv, this information is fully impounded in the current price and no profit opportunity exists. c. Under iii, if the market is not strong form efficient, then this information could be used as a profitable trading strategy, by noting the buying activity of the insiders as a signal that the stock 121 www.notesolution.com
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit