BIO207 Winter 2013
Broad Learning Goals for the 207 Final Exam – April 2013
You should be able to do the following:
1. Describe the molecular basis of evolution.
2. Identify ancestral relationships based on phylogenetic trees.
3. Describe why evolution provides a foundation for modern genetics.
4. Predict offspring genotype and phenotype from monohybrid, dihybrid, and
5. Discuss Mendel’s laws.
6. Explain the molecular basis of dominant and recessive traits.
7. Describe how to perform different types of crosses to test hypotheses.
8. Perform chi-square analysis to test the fit between observed values and
9. Predict the inheritance pattern of a trait through pedigree analysis.
10.Predict the probability of individuals having a genotype based on family
11.Describe the molecular basis of different types of inheritance patterns.
12.Identify the inheritance of sex-linked disorders on pedigrees.
13.Describe the impact of random x-chromosome inactivation on phenotype.
14.Explain how gene expression can be affected by nongenetic factors.
15.Explain how gene expression can be affected by factors related to sex.
16.Explain how gene expression can be affected by interactions with other
17.Use phenotype and genotype ratios to identify the mechanism of inheritance.
Chapter 5 (focus on 5.1-5.4):
18.Discuss genetic linkage.
19.Describe differences between complete and incomplete genetic linkage.
20.Calculate recombination frequency.
21.Predict test-cross progeny for linked genes.
22.Find the relative order of genes by three-point mapping.
23.Perform Chi-square analysis of genetic linkage data.
24.Construct a three-point recombination map.
25.Calculate interference and coefficient of coincidence.
26.Determine gamete frequencies from genetic maps.
28.Describe the molecular basis of sickle cell disease.
29.Describe how sickle cell disease is diagnosed.
30.Describe how sickle cell disease evolved by natural selection. Chapter 11 (focus on 11.4):
31.Describe the different levels of chromosome structure.
32.Describe how chromosome structure influences gene transcription.
33.Discuss position effect variegation.
34.Discuss inactivation of mammalian female X chromosomes.
Chapter 12 (focus on 12.1-12.6):