BLG 143 (54)
Mc Grey (8)

bio unit 4 lesson 7.docx

2 Pages
Unlock Document

Ryerson University
BLG 143
Mc Grey

Independent Activity Unit # 4 Lesson 7 Effects of Exercise on Blood Pressure and Pulse Rate Lab Question: How does exercise affect blood pressure and pulse rate? Hypothesis: I think that exercise will increase the amount of oxygen required by cells for cellular respiration since the body will have an increased demand for energy. The body will be moving faster and energy will be used up much quicker, thus, requiring a higher amount of energy supplied at a faster rate than when the body is at rest. As a result, I think the heart will be contracting and pumping blood to the body at a faster rate, which will also increase blood pressure. Since blood will be flowing faster this will increase the pulse rate. Design: You exempted this. Systolic blood pressure Diastolic blood pressure Pulse rate (mm Hg) (mm Hg) (beats/min) Before exercise After exercise Materials: - Stethoscope - Sphygmomanometer - Skipping rope - Stop watch - Pen and paper to record results Procedure: Measure the heart rate (beats/min) and blood pressure before, during, and after skipping for 15 minutes. Step 1: Measure the heart rate (beats/min) using the stethoscope, before the individual starts skipping, and also measure the blood pressure using the sphygmomanometer. Step 2: After skipping for 7 minutes (halfway through the 15 minutes) measure the heart rate and blood pressure again, to see if there is a decrease or increase in any of the two. Step 3: After completing the skipping for 15 minutes, measure the heart rate and blood pressure for the last time to see the accumulative affect of exercise on blood pressure and heart rate. Safety precautions: Make sure the person skipping is wearing appropriate running shoes. Also make sure that the skipping rope is long enough so the person does not trip or fall during skipping. (you exempted observation table and report and because it is not possible to record any of these things without doing the experiment) Analysis: Exercise increases blood pressure, and accelerates the pulse rate. Evaluations: 1. My hypothesis was correct in predicting that exercise increases our heart rate and our blood pressure. This is because whenever you move a muscle it requires blood. Muscles use blood for oxygen, because the cells in the muscle require oxygen in order to car
More Less

Related notes for BLG 143

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.