[BMS 150] - Final Exam Guide - Comprehensive Notes fot the exam (32 pages long!)

212 views32 pages

Document Summary

Chapter 1: biology of the tree of life: most scientists agree that most life: Must acquire + use energy to stay alive + reproduce (i. e. plants absorb sunlight; animals ingest food) Are made up of membrane-bound cells (-regulates passage of materials in and out) What are viruses/ prions: the cell theory: i) all organisms are made of cells (bacteria, sequoia tree, all cells come from pre-existing cells (i. e. most cells reproduce by dividing, copying themselves, theory of evolution by natural selection: Species change through time because individuals with certain heritable traits produce more offspring than other individuals. Late 1660s: robert hooke (cork: 30x); coined the word cells . Anton van leeuwenhoek (paramecium ( animalcules ), blood cells, sperm cells: 300x) first to observe cells: phylogenetic tree: graphical representation of evolutionary relationships among species. Phylogenies established by analyzing similarities and differences in traits. Phylogeny: history of the development of a group of organisms: biologists: (as well as humans)