Final Analytical Report Assignment
• Identify the purpose of the report. Explain why the report is being written. Provide
adequate context. Define problem precisely.Why is it a problem?
• Preview the organization of the report. Briefly explain to the reader how the report will be
• Description of methodology (as appropriate)
• Don’t reveal conclusions and recommendations. Use the indirect pattern for this report to
be persuasive: save your recommendations for the end of the report after you have provided all
your evidence and arguments.
• Ensure main points and subpoints are immediately apparent
• Identify criteria to evaluate alternatives. Create criteria to allow you to compare each
alternative consistently. Briefly define criteria for reader. Not all criteria will be equally
important. Consider weighting them in your analysis (pairwise comparison?).
• Introduce solution options, then evaluate solution options according to evaluative
criteria. Provide consistent analysis. Evaluate each alternative consistently according to each
criterion. Consider organizing discussion by criteria rather than solution option. For
unreceptive audiences, consider placing the recommended alternative last.
• Support the findings with evidence. Supply research, facts, statistics, argument, expert
opinions, historical comparisons, survey data, and other proof from which you can draw
logical conclusions. Carefully cite your sources.
• Organize the findings for logic and readability. Arrange the discu