Communication
Course
CMN 279
Professor
Gaye Savage
Semester
Winter

Description
CHAPTER 3 BUSINESS STYLE WORD CHOICE CONCISENESS AND TONE WORD CHOICE PLAIN STYLE y Plain style plain language a style of writing that places value on simplicity directness and clarity y Characteristics of plain style i Use common everyday words except for necessary technical terms ii Use reasonable sentence lengths iii Use activevoice and phrasal verbs y Voice a describes a verbs ability to show whether the subject of a sentence acts or is acted upon y Phrasal verb verb that combines with one or more prepositions to deliver its meaning iv Use personal pronouns y Pronouns words that replace or refer to nouns i you and we v Use unambiguous language y Ambiguity term that describes an obscure or inexact meaning vi Place a subject as close as possible to the verbWORD CHOICE STEP 1 USE FAMILIAR WORDS y Curb your use of words ending in ize and ization y Use words deriving from French sparingly do not over use o EX Converse apprise commence y Avoid foreign word phrases o EX Bona fide genuine per diem a day quid pro quo substitute compensate y Use only jobrelated jargon o Jargon term that describes 1 the specialized terminology of a technical field or 2 outdated unnecessary words used
More Less

Related notes for CMN 279

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit