Exam bank

4 Pages

Department
Economics
Course Code
ECN 220
Professor
Michael Jolly

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 4 pages of the document.
RYERSON UNIVERSITY
DEPARTMENT OF ECONOMICS
ECN 220 : Evolution of the Global Economy
Exam Questions
The final exam will last two hours and you will be asked to answer five short answer questions
(out of a choice of ten) and two essay questions (out of a choice of five). The questions will be
chosen from the following lists.
Short Answer Questions
1Briefly indicate the two institutions established as a result of the Bretton Woods
Agreement and indicate the major problems with which each of these institutions were
originally intended to deal.
2Describe the original mission of the World Bank and indicate its current major role.
3Briefly describe the main differences between the W.T.O. and its predecessor, the
G.A.T.T.
4What were the three principal objectives of the IMF when it was first established?
5Indicate and briefly describe two reasons why international organizations such as the IMF
and the World Bank might now be expected to face greater challenges in persuading
governments to accept their decisions than was the case during the first few decades after
World War II.
6Briefly describe shallow integration and deep integration and give an example of each.
7Indicate (with brief explanations) two criticisms directed by the less developed countries
(LDCs) at the industrialized countries when they seek to impose common labour
standards throughout the world.
8In the context of environmental standards define:
(a) Transboundary impacts;
(b) Non-transboundary impacts.
9Briefly indicate the immediate causes of the Mexican peso crisis of 1994 and 1995.
10 Define
(a) direct foreign investment;
(b) portfolio investment
www.notesolution.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
RYERSON UNIVERSITY DEPARTMENT OF ECONOMICS ECN 220 : Evolution of the Global Economy Exam Questions The final exam will last two hours and you will be asked to answer five short answer questions (out of a choice of ten) and two essay questions (out of a choice of five). The questions will be chosen from the following lists. Short Answer Questions 1 Briefly indicate the two institutions established as a result of the Bretton Woods Agreement and indicate the major problems with which each of these institutions were originally intended to deal. 2 Describe the original mission of the World Bank and indicate its current major role. 3 Briefly describe the main differences between the W.T.O. and its predecessor, the G.A.T.T. 4 What were the three principal objectives of the IMF when it was first established? 5 Indicate and briefly describe two reasons why international organizations such as the IMF and the World Bank might now be expected to face greater challenges in persuading governments to accept their decisions than was the case during the first few decades after World War II. 6 Briefly describe shallow integration and deep integration and give an example of each. 7 Indicate (with brief explanations) two criticisms directed by the less developed countries (LDCs) at the industrialized countries when they seek to impose common labour standards throughout the world. 8 In the context of environmental standards define: (a) Transboundary impacts; (b) Non-transboundary impacts. 9 Briefly indicate the immediate causes of the Mexican peso crisis of 1994 and 1995. 10 Define (a) direct foreign investment; (b) portfolio investment 1 www.notesolution.com 11 Define ‘covered interest rate arbitrage’. How does it affect the equilibrium exchange rate? 12 What determines the long-run rate of exchange? Explain your answer. 13 How did the Bretton Woods System differ from the Gold Standard? 14 Indicate two conditions required for an optimal currency area. 15 What are the major economic provisions of the Maastricht Agreement of December 1991? 16 Indicate two conditions which need to be met for European monetary union to be successful. 17 Briefly outline Raul Prebisch’s arguments in favour of import substitution industrialization. 18 Indicate two advantages and two disadvantages of a centrally planned economy. 19 Indicate the two general principles incorporated into the original General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade. 20 Define: (a) Foreign direct investment; (b) Foreign portfolio investment. 21 Briefly describe two major problems faced by the European Union as a result of its admission of new members from eastern Europe. 22 Indicate (with brief explanations) the provisions of (a) the labour side agreement to NAFTA and (b) the environ
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit