Study Guides (258,847)
CA (125,022)
Ryerson (8,697)
ENH (86)
ENH 424 (7)
Ian Young (2)
Study Guide

ENH 424- Midterm Exam Guide - Comprehensive Notes for the exam ( 30 pages long!)
Premium

30 Pages

Department
Environmental Health
Course Code
ENH 424
Professor
Ian Young

This preview shows pages 1-3. Sign up to view the full 30 pages of the document.
Ryerson
ENH 424
Midterm EXAM
STUDY GUIDE
Lecture 1
ENH 424 Water Quality
Drinking Water in Canada
Approx. 45,000 drinking water systems in Canada
o Most are small systems that serve 5000 people or less
Types of drinking water systems vary greatly
o Water can come from surface sources (e.g. lakes, rivers), ground water aquifers
(i.e. wells), cisterns, water trucks, or bottled water
89% of Canadians rely on municipal water systems
o 9% use a private-well
o 1% use a surface water source
Water-borne Illness in Canada
In Canada there is no national surveillance system for systematic collection of water-
borne diseases
o Surveillance is fragmented and outbreaks not always reported beyond local
authorities
Burden of Water-borne Illness
Globally, ~1.8 billion drink faecally contaminated drinking water
Inadequate drinking water is estimated to cause 502,000 diarrhea deaths/year
o In low- and middle-income countries
In the USA, there are ~4-32 million cases of acute gastrointestinal illness (AGI) per year
from public drinking water systems
o For 20112012, 32 drinking waterassociated outbreaks were reported,
accounting for at least 431 cases of illness, 102 hospitalizations, and 14 deaths
Walkerton Outbreak
The high-profile water-borne disease outbreak in Walkerton, Ontario, in May-June 2000
had significant public health and economic impacts
o It brought considerable attention to water quality issues in Ontario and provides
important lessons learned about drinking water system failures and their
consequences
The outbreak caused >2300 cases of GI illness of which
65 were hospitalized
27 developed haemolytic uremic syndrome
7 caused deaths
o Lead to iuiy, pepaed by O’Coo & subseuet efo to safe wate
legislation in Ontario
Town receives water from a number of wells
In May 2000, E. coli O157:H7 and Campylobacter jejuni entered the Walkerton system
through Well 5 on or shortly after May 12, 2000
find more resources at oneclass.com
o Well 5 was built in 1978
Likely sources was run-off from manure that was spread on a nearby farm
o Preceded by periods of heavy rainfall
The outbreak would have been prevented by the use of continuous chlorine residual and
turbidity monitors at Well 5
Operators lacked proper training and expertise
o Engaged in improper practices, including
Failing to use adequate doses of chlorine,
Failing to monitor chlorine residuals daily,
Making false entries about residuals in daily operating records, and
Misstating the locations at which microbiological samples were take
o They failed to report initial adverse test results to health unit and others, including
a broken chlorinator on one of the wells
o Stan and Frank Koebel charged, pled guilty to common nuisance
MOE inspection failed to detect poor operator practices
Budget reductions led to discontinuation of government laboratory testing services for
municipalities in 1996
Multi-Barrier Approach
Health Canada Drinking Water Guidelines advocate a multi-barrier approach to protect
drinking water quality:

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
[ENH 424] Comprehensive winter guide including any lecture notes, textbook notes and exam guides.find more resources at oneclass.com Lecture 1 ENH 424 – Water Quality Drinking Water in Canada • Approx. 45,000 drinking water systems in Canada o Most are small systems that serve 5000 people or less • Types of drinking water systems vary greatly o Water can come from surface sources (e.g. lakes, rivers), ground water aquifers (i.e. wells), cisterns, water trucks, or bottled water • 89% of Canadians rely on municipal water systems o 9% use a private-well o 1% use a surface water source Water-borne Illness inCanada • In Canada there is no national surveillance system for systematic collection of water- borne diseases o Surveillance is fragmented and outbreaks not always reported beyond local authorities Burden of Water-borne Illness • Globally, ~1.8 billion drink faecally contaminated drinking water • Inadequate drinking water is estimated to cause502,000 diarrhea deaths/year o In low- and middle-income countries • In the USA, there are ~4-32 million cases of acute gastrointestinal illness (AGI) per year from public drinking water systems o For 2011–2012, 32 drinking water–associated outbreaks were reported, accounting for at least 431 cases of illness, 102 hospitalizations, and 14 deaths Walkerton Outbreak • The high-profile water-borne disease outbreak in Walkerton, Ontario, in May-June 2000 had significant public health and economic impacts o It brought considerable attention to water quality issues in Ontario and provides important lessons learned about drinking water system failures and their consequences • The outbreak caused >2300 cases of GI illness of which ▪ 65 were hospitalized ▪ 27 developed haemolytic uremic syndrome ▪ 7 caused deaths o Lead to i▯▯ui▯y, p▯epa▯ed by O’Co▯▯o▯ & subse▯ue▯t ▯efo▯▯ to safe wate▯ legislation in Ontario • Town receives water from a number of wells • In May 2000 , E. coli O157:H7 and Campylobacter jejuni entered the Walkerton system through Well 5 on or shortly after May 12, 2000 find more resources at oneclass.com
More Less
Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

Only pages 1-3 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit