Finance
Course
FIN 501
Professor
Edward Blinder
Semester
Summer

Description
FIN501 investment analysis I CHAPTER 17 PROJECTING CASH FLOW AND EARNINGS SOURCES OF FINANCIAL INFORMATION  Primary source of financial information about a company is its annual report to stockholders  Other sources include The Globe and Mail, the Toronto Stock Exchange, Ontario Securities Commission  SEDAR: electronic archive of company filings with the Canadian securities regulatory agencies  Disclosure regulation: requires companies making a public disclosure of material non-public information to do so fairly without preferential recipients FINANCIAL STATEMENTS  Balance sheet: accounting statement that provides a snapshot view of a company’s assets and liabilities on a particular date o Asset: anything a company owns that has value i. Current assets – cash or items that will be converted to cash or be used within a year (EX. Cash, AR, inventory, materials and supplies, prepaid expenses) ii. Fixed assets – tangible or intangible assets with an expected life longer than one year and are used in normal business operations (EX. Property, plant, equipments, rights, patents, and licenses) iii. Investments – various securities held for investment purposes (EX. Common and preferred stock, goodwill) iv. Other assets – miscellaneous items not readily fitting into any of the other asset category o Liability: a firm’s financial obligations i. Current liabilities – require payment or other actions within one year (EX. AP, accrued taxes) ii. Long-term liabilities – debt with a maturity longer than one year (EX. Notes, bonds, or other loans) iii. Other liabilities – miscellaneous items not belonging to any other liability category o Equity: an ownership interest in the company  Paid-in capital is the amount recieved by the company from issuing common stock  Retained earnings is the accumulated income not paid out as dividends but instead used to finance company growth ASSETS = LIABILITIES + EQUITY  Income statement: summary statement of a firm’s revenues and expenses ov
More Less

Related notes for FIN 501

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit