1. Contemporary organizations are expected to excel on performance criteria that include
concerns for ethics, social responsibility, employee development, and innovation but not
profitability and investment value.
2. __________ meets the specific information needs of managers as they make decisions on a
a) An extranet.
b) An intranet.
c) A management information system.
d) An enterprise-wide network.
e) An inter-organizational information system.
3. Several technological trends are occurring in the new economy. Which of the following is
NOT one of these trends?
A. The Internet, World Wide Web, computers, and information technology have
transformed and continue to transform the modern workplace.
B. The demand for knowledge workers with the skills to utilize technology to full
advantage is increasing.
C. Computer competency must be mastered and continuously developed as a
foundation for career success.
D. Low-skill workers who are displaced from declining industries will not need to
re-tool their skills to find adequate alternative employment.
E. The rate of technological change will continue to accelerate.
4. The existence of an invisible barrier that prevents women and minorities from rising
above a certain level of organizational responsibility is called the __________.
A. Harassment effect.
B. Glass ceiling effect.
C. Mirrored wall effect.
D. Promotion barrier.
E. Sticky floor effect.
5. Organizations are systems composed of __________.
A. Various subsystems, each of which works for separate goals.
B. Sets of organizational policies and processes.
C. Interdependent parts that function together to achieve a common purpose.
D. Different groupings of independent job tasks.
E. Completely independent subsystems that interact with their environments.
6. The four basic functions of management are __________.
A. Delegating, planning, organizing, and order giving.
B. Organizing, leading, controlling, and order giving.
C. Planning, organizing, leading, and controlling.
D. Delegating, leading, controlling, and decision making.
E. Planning, leading, controlling, and decision making. 7. Major organizational stakeholders include all of the following EXCEPT:
A. Employees and contractors who work for the organization.
B. Providers of the organization’s human, information, material, and financial
C. General economic conditions and political trends.
D. Stockholders, investors, and creditors with claims on assets and profits of the
E. Local, state, and national governmental agencies that enforce laws and
8. General environment conditions exclude which one of the following categories?
A. Technological conditions.
B. Human relations conditions.
C. Economic conditions.
D. Legal-political conditions.
E. Natural environment conditions.
9. Organizations lose competitive advantage