Study Guides (258,670)
CA (124,963)
Ryerson (8,695)
GMS (542)
GMS 450 (29)
Study Guide

GMS 450- Final Exam Guide - Comprehensive Notes for the exam ( 39 pages long!)

39 Pages

Department
Global Management Studies
Course Code
GMS 450
Professor
Khalil Abuosba

This preview shows pages 1-3. Sign up to view the full 39 pages of the document.
Ryerson
GMS 450
FINAL EXAM
STUDY GUIDE
Chapter One: What is a project?
- Interrelated set of activities with a definite start and end point, which results in a unique
outcome for a specific allocation of resources
What is the Project Management Institute
- Over 700K members around the world
- Maintains and administers certifications related to project management
- Provides services such as development standards, research, education and training seminars in
project management
- The southern Ontario chapter has 4500 members
According to PMI:
- The application of knowledge, skills, tools and techniques to a broad range of activities in order
to meet the requirements of a particular project
Types Of Projects:
Computer Related Projects:
- Computer hardware projects such as:
- Computer assembling projects
- Video related projects
- Web service projects
- Data center projects
- Computer software projects such as:
- System software and programming software projects
Healthcare Related Projects:
Projects focusing on improving patient care and service delivery while increasing innovation and
efficiency
- Adding a new ICU intensive care unit to a hospital
- Removing old equipment and installing new equipment
- Stakeholders include: Doctors, investors, and hospitals
New Product Development
- Firms use new product development process as the first state in generating and commercializing
new products to maintain or grow their market share
- The project managers task is to coordinate deployment of a product or new releases, coordinate
testing of such new products and releases, and coordinate pilots with potential product users
find more resources at oneclass.com
- Priority of development objectives, planned timing, sequence of development activities, major
project milestones and prototypes are mechanisms among team members
The Xbox 360 was a massive project to compete with the Playstation 3 development
The project consisted of 4 phases
1. Design: this included collaborative effort between Microsoft and many other firms including
IBM, Astro Studios and ATI
2. Analysis: getting an estimate of future sales for the new product (using historical patterns)
3. Development: capacity planning decisions need to closely work with other firms, increase the
production capacity
4. Product Launch: Launch your product (Xbox gained an early lead in terms of market share due to
launching one year ahead of the PS3
Construction Projects:
- Small sizes (house) to large products (airport)
- Construction projects are often time consuming
- They also require many phases and involve government agiencys, engineers and architects,
insurance companies, attorneys and contractors
All Ogaiss hae a life le, the ae o, go, ae ad die… so do pojets
- Some projects have an S shape curve (start slowly, develop momentum and finish slowly)
- Some products have a J shaped curve (start slowly, proceed slowly and finish rapidly)
Is it a project?
- There is a start and end time
- It gives a unique outcome
- It requires specific resources
What makes you feel satisfied at the end of a project?
- You finish within a budget, on time and the quality of the finish is acceptable
There are many aspects of failure:
Failure in cost: Sydney Opera House
- This was the worlds biggest planning disaster
- The initial budget estimations were 7 million and ended up costing 100 million as well as taking
more then a decade to construct

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
[GMS 450] Comprehensive Fall guide including any lecture notes, textbook notes and exam guides.find more resources at oneclass.com Chapter One: What is a project? - Interrelated set of activities with a definite start and end point, which results in a unique outcome for a specific allocation of resources What is the Project Management Institute - Over 700K members around the world - Maintains and administers certifications related to project management - Provides services such as development standards, research, education and training seminars in project management - The southern Ontario chapter has 4500 members According to PMI: - The application of knowledge, skills, tools and techniques to a broad range of activities in order to meet the requirements of a particular project Types Of Projects: Computer Related Projects: - Computer hardware projects such as: - Computer assembling projects - Video related projects - Web service projects - Data center projects - Computer software projects such as: - System software and programming software projects Healthcare Related Projects: Projects focusing on improving patient care and service delivery while increasing innovation and efficiency - Adding a new ICU intensive care unit to a hospital - Removing old equipment and installing new equipment - Stakeholders include: Doctors, investors, and hospitals New Product Development - Firms use new product development process as the first state in generating and commercializing new products to maintain or grow their market share - The project managers task is to coordinate deployment of a product or new releases, coordinate testing of such new products and releases, and coordinate pilots with potential product users find more resources at oneclass.com
More Less
Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

Only pages 1-3 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit