HST702 - Lecture 13 The Final Collapse and Peacemaking at Versailles.docx

5 Pages

Department
History
Course Code
HST 702
Professor
Tomaz Jardim

This preview shows pages 1 and half of page 2. Sign up to view the full 5 pages of the document.

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade. are saying about us

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
HST702 November 27, 2013 Tomaz Jardim The Final Collapse and Peace Making at Versailles 1 - The Allied Counter Offensive o The Second Battle of the Marne and Amiens - 18th July 1918 - American Troops join the fight in large numbers - Brought hope and strength to Allied forces - Germans stunned by ferocity and discipline of Americans - Ludendorff spent all of his force and now he's being counter attacked - Ludendorff ignores the lack of morale in his troops, the flu epidemic, the shortage of supplies, defeat - Ferdinand Foch and Haig meet and agree that German forces are breaking up - The time was now for the counter offensive - "The time had come for regaining initiative" - 8 August, British, French American troops united and attacked Germans near Amiens - Germans have now ay of holding the territory, and crumble away - Line is broken - Ludendorff has a nervous breakdown - His orders began to lack coherence - Ludendorff regained composure and contacts Kaiser to tell him the situation is impossible 2 - Ludendorff's Abortive Call for Peace - Ludendorff tells Kaiser they need to negotiate peace - Kaiser meets with Ludendorff and Hindenburg, they agree that Ludendorff is right - If they have their back against the wall and ask for peace, the entente will institute a harsh peace agreement - If we can show them that we are still strong and negotiating, we'll have better results - There was no way that German would be able to mount a counter attack - Entente is aware momentum is shifting in their favour - Foch proposes a counter attack that attacks strategically (like Ludendorff had done) - Entente puts stalemate of trenches behind them - Foch orders attacks that will be executed with rapidity to inflict fatal succession of blows - All the land Ludendorff had taken 5 months earlier is retaken - Germans pushed all the way back to where they had begun the campaign - Ludendorff had refused to put emphasis on tank construction - Ludendorff reaping the effects of refusing to believe the Americans would have an impact - Entente governments don't believe the war is going to end, they believe war will go on into 1919  A sense that breaking the Hindenburg line is going to be a struggle - Foch and Haig advocate that they push, the collapse is imminent  Germans on the brink of collapse, the time is now - For the first time, it actually seems like Haig's claims that the collapse is imminent seem true - October 1, Ludendorff says the German army is finished, final defeat is at hand  The goal is to avoid complete and utter defeat  Knows they need to turn to allies and ask for peace terms - Ludendorff turns to Woodrow Wilson o Woodrow Wilson's "Fourteen Points" - Fourteen Points > Wilson had laid out what should be the terms of surrender for Germany - The war should end if Germany accepts the fourteen points  Readjustment of the colonial world  Loss of German colonies  Return of Russian territories  Germany had taken territories  Restoration of Belgian and Serbian independence  Belgium and Serbia had been occupied  Return of Alsace-Lorraine to the French  Germans took it in 1871  Independence for the minorities of Austria-Hungary  Austro-Hungarian empire dissolved  The creation of an independent Poland  Carved out of Germany  The Creation of the League of Nations  The broad ideal of National Self-Determination  All nations have the right to choose their own destiny and govern themselves - Germans think this is the best they can get - Fourteen points is not allied policy - Allies don't have tolerance for Wilson's idealism  They want revenge  They want to be paid back  They want to leave Germany in no position to be able to fight again - Ludendorff turns to Americans, French and British don't agree - Wilson says the situation has agreed  Germany has to accept a tough peace  They should expect that they will pay for the cost of unrestricted submarine warfare  Agreement will have to restrict the Germans from fighting again - Peace has to make the fighting on the behalf of Germany impossible - Wilson does not recognize the authority of the military or Kaiser  German state has to democratize itself before we'll negotiate 3 - Reform in Germany o Max von Baden, the Kaiser and the Reichstag - 3 October, Max von Baden instated as Chancellor - Baden negotiates with Wilson - Realizes that avoiding a revolution in Germany is his job  He needs to institute reforms - In 3 weeks, Baden institutes democratic reforms that the Kaiser had been resisting - Kaiser finds himself stripped of all of his powers, turned into a figurehead - Reichstag has legitimate power - Tells Kaiser Ludendorff has to go - Kaiser removes Ludendorff, replaces him with Wilhelm von Groener o Mutiny at Kiel and the Kaiser Abdication - 3 Novemb
More Less
Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

Only pages 1 and half of page 2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit