Human Resources
Course
MHR 523
Professor
Pat Sniderman
Semester
Winter

Description
 6 HRM Responsibilities: Operational o Job Analysis o HR Planning o Selecting Employees o Training Employees o Managing Compensation o Communicating with Employees  5 External Environmental Influences on HR*: Globalization : emergence of a single global market for most products / services Legislation (Government) Economic conditions Workforce (Labour Market) Issues (Diversity) Technology • Organizational Culture: Core values, beliefs and assumptions that are widely shared by members of an organization (p. 15) • Organizational Climate: prevailing atmosphere that exists and impacts employees. • Management Policies and Practices: HR policies, organizational structure, job design, leadership style and empowerment, motivation, communication, team dynamics • Job Analysis and Description: Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSAs) required to perform a job (also called Job Specifications) 1. A labour surplus exists when the internal supply of employees exceeds the organization’s demand- Possible Responses To Employee Surplus?: 2. A labour shortage exists when the internal supply of human resources cannot meet the organization’s needs Intentional Discrimination • direct • differential/unequal treatment • indirectly • based on association i.e. Not being hired for a job due to one’s race or gender Systemic (Unintentional) Discrimination • apparently neutral policies have adverse impact on protected groups i.e. Minimum height requirement • Human rights legislation mandates employers must accommodate to point of ‘undue hardship’ Bona Fide Occupational Requirement – Justifiable reason for discrimination • Harassment is unwelcome behaviour that
More Less

Related notes for MHR 523

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit