Midterm notes

16 Pages

Department
Information Technology Management
Course Code
ITM 100
Professor
Ron Babin

This preview shows pages 1-3. Sign up to view the full 16 pages of the document.
Chapter 1
Moores Law lower cost, higher performance
Improve 1 % per week
Mr Moore = pres of intel
Information technology (IT) enabler and impacts disciplines
Knowledge work analysis, comm. of data
Tech evolve = increase base computing power
Business val - +ve return on investment of resources from effective & effienct integration
using comm.
Information systems (IS) transform inputs to outputs
Ppl influence creation & operation of IS
Process steps transform inputs to outputs
Info tech
Ex: Ryerson (blackboard), OUAC
Transaction processing system (TPS) processes transactions make avail to org
oBusiness val = track transactions to support decision making
Management information system (MIS) timely info to decision makers through
processing & reporting
oBusiness val = monitor critical process & avoid mistake
Decision support system (DSS) analytical & visualization tools support decision
making
oBusiness val = decisions from data, find new business opp
Enterprise resource planning (ERP) standardizes processes
oBusiness val = reduce costs, reduce decision making mistakes
Customer relationship management (CRM) analysis of customer transaction data
(purchases)
oBusiness val = understand customer behav & needs (purchases), makes
timely & proactive management
www.notesolution.com
Input transform item to outputs
Output end result
Data unorganzed facts
Info useful organized data
Knowledge info + human exp & judement
IT physical comp = hardware, software, connectivity
Enable achieve goals
Decision alt to follow/ avoid action
E-commerce use IT to create business val
Globalization IT expand market globally to find lowest cost suppliers
Productivity zone ppl, process,tech
Information and communications technology (ICT) contributer to economies
Canada = divided to several industries
Internet comm., info
WWW reduce effort to carry out activities, jump pg to pg
Info overload absence of quality control
Chapter 2
Business strategy task coordinated to deliver end result product/ service
Ex: Tim Hortons vs. Starbucks effient vs. Lounge
Ex: Canadian tire vs. Walmart family vs. Cheap price
Stategy how going to compete, goal, plans
Michael Porter
Stakeholders interest in enterprise
oInfluence business
oCan be external/ internal
www.notesolution.com
Open systems model - transforming inputs to outputs & interacting w/ environment.
Applying IT to create business val
RFID = radio freq identification replaces UPC code, transmits signal =more
accurate
Org boundary –open to public receive input/ output take steps to remain competitive
by responding to opp/ threats
Org structure info, resp, authority
Functional and decentralized structures line of authority & comm. vertically orientated
Matrix structure blends functional and decentralized structures
Product focused
Flexibility to business needs & envir changes
www.notesolution.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Chapter 1 Moores Law lower cost, higher performance Improve 1 % per week Mr Moore = pres of intel Information technology (IT) enabler and impacts disciplines Knowledge work analysis, comm. of data Tech evolve = increase base computing power Business val - +ve return on investment of resources from effective & effienct integration using comm. Information systems (IS) transform inputs to outputs Ppl influence creation & operation of IS Process steps transform inputs to outputs Info tech Ex: Ryerson (blackboard), OUAC Transaction processing system (TPS) processes transactions make avail to org o Business val = track transactions to support decision making Management information system (MIS) timely info to decision makers through processing & reporting o Business val = monitor critical process & avoid mistake Decision support system (DSS) analytical & visualization tools support decision making o Business val = decisions from data, find new business opp Enterprise resource planning (ERP) standardizes processes o Business val = reduce costs, reduce decision making mistakes Customer relationship management (CRM) analysis of customer transaction data (purchases) o Business val = understand customer behav & needs (purchases), makes timely & proactive management www.notesolution.com Input transform item to outputs Output end result Data unorganzed facts Info useful organized data Knowledge info + human exp & judement IT physical comp = hardware, software, connectivity Enable achieve goals Decision alt to follow/ avoid action E-commerce use IT to create business val Globalization IT expand market globally to find lowest cost suppliers Productivity zone ppl, process,tech Information and communications technology (ICT) contributer to economies Canada = divided to several industries Internet comm., info WWW reduce effort to carry out activities, jump pg to pg Info overload absence of quality control Chapter 2 Business strategy task coordinated to deliver end result product/ service Ex: Tim Hortons vs. Starbucks effient vs. Lounge Ex: Canadian tire vs. Walmart family vs. Cheap price Stategy how going to compete, goal, plans Michael Porter Stakeholders interest in enterprise o Influence business o Can be external/ internal www.notesolution.com Open systems model - transforming inputs to outputs & interacting w/ environment. Applying IT to create business val RFID = radio freq identification replaces UPC code, transmits signal =more accurate Org boundary open to public receive input/ output take steps to remain competitive by responding to opp/ threats Org structure info, resp, authority Functional and decentralized structures line of authority & comm. vertically orientated Matrix structure blends functional and decentralized structures Product focused Flexibility to business needs & envir changes www.notesolution.com Decision making lower in org, closer to customer Decentralized flexibility , greater comm. Functional - efficient use of resources Business process transform inputs to outputs (goods and services) Manufacturing = product, other = service IGOE understand process (I) inputs, (G) guides, (O) outputs, (E) enablers Inputs resources o Capital money need to operate o Data, info, knowledge data, info, knowledge relevant to goal o Raw materials ingredients relevant to goal Outputs results Guides rules Enablers input facilitates process Labour ppl hired to carry out processes Technology hardware, software Feedback measurement returned to control future input, process, output o Monitor efficiency & effectiveness Business process reengineering (BPR) making more efficient Goal = reduce cost, increase speed, increase quality & service Contin improvement improving results Competitive adv insight + speed of execution + cost Automating employees concentrate on task that add high val www.notesolution.com
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-3 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit