Law and Business
Course
LAW 122
Professor
Henry Ojambo
Semester
Winter

Description
George Nico Business Law (Exam Notes) Chapter 8: Consideration and Privity The Nature of Consideration ­ Main goal of contract law is to enforce bargains o Promise is (generally) enforceable unless mutual ­ Consideration can be either a benefit or a detriment o Each party must either…  (promise to) provide benefit to someone or  (promise to) suffer detriment to self o Must move from each party – but not to other party  “I’ll pay $5000 to your brother if you transfer a car to my sister” Sufficient & Adequate Consideration ­ Consideration must be sufficient o Sufficient: any value from a legal perspective  Money, goods, land, or services  But not, “love and affection” ­ Consideration need not be adequate o Adequate: exchange of equal value  Courts will not save someone from a “foolish” bargain ­ Peppercorn theory of consideration Sufficient Consideration – Forbearance (restraint or tolerance) to Sue ­ Definition: o Give up right of action ­ Forbearance as consideration o If underlying claim was valid  Valid consideration: sacrifice right to sue for full amount o If underlying claim was invalid  No actual right action to be sacrificed  Valid consideration: loss of right to pursue apparent claim  Invalid consideration if no honest belief in underlying claim Past consideration ­ Recall mutuality of consideration: o Each party must give consideration in exchange for other’s ­ Past consideration o Consideration given before contract contemplated o No mutuality and therefore no consideration  Eg. Promise to pay $100 given after service provided ­ Sometimes confused with implied promise to pay reasonable price, which is valid consideration Past Consideration and Pre­Existing Obligation George Nico Business Law (Exam Notes) ­ Determining whether valid consideration to give new promise to perform existing obligation not  yet fulfilled o Eg. “I’ll perform the contract if you pay me $500 extra” ­ Situations involving pre­existing obligation o Pre­existing public duty o Pre­existing obligation owed to third party o Pre­existing obligation owed to same party Pre­Existing Public Duty ­ Promises to perform pre­existing public duty o Public officer promises to perform for extra pay  Police: “I’ll investigate if you promise to pay $500” ­ No consideration o Public official gives nothing new  Police already obliged to investigate o Against policy to enforce agreement  Avoid incentive for public servant to misbehave Pre­Existing Third Party Obligation ­ Promise to perform duty owed to third party o Old contract promise repeated for new contract  “I’ll perform contract with X if you pay me $500” ­ Sufficient consideration o New benefit for new party under new contract  You acquire right to enforce performance Pre­Existing Same Party Obligation ­ Promise to perform obligation owed to same party o Old contractual promise repeated for new contract  “I’ll perform our contract if you pay me $500 extra” ­ No consideration o No new benefit for same party  You already have right o enforce my performance o Against policy to enforce agreement  Avoid incentive to threaten breach to get extra pay Promise to Forgive Existing Debt ­ Promise to discharge debt upon part payment o “You owe me $500… pay $200 and forget the rest” ­ Unenforceable because no new consideration ­ Exceptions o Promise under seal (below) o Promise exchanged for new benefit (Eg. Early Payment) o Statute (not all jurisdictions) George Nico Business Law (Exam Notes)  Promise enforceable if part payment actually received Promises Enforceable Without Consideration ­ General Rule o Promise unenforceable without consideration ­ Exceptions o Seal: special mark on document • Must be applied when contract signed • Need not take any particular form  Significance of seal • Symbolizes seriousness of promise o Promise enforceable even without consideration o Party agrees to give something for nothing o Commonly used in connection with guarantees o Promissory estoppel: prevents disputing or retraction a statement • A person may be estopped from unfairly denying truth of prior  statement made to someone who relied on it  Promissory estoppel: prevents retraction of promise that another party has relied  upon o Eg. “You only have to pay me at half 
More Less

Related notes for LAW 122

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit