Law and Business
Course
LAW 122
Professor
Henry Ojambo
Semester
Winter

Description
George Nico Business Law (Exam Notes) Chapter 12: Contractual Remedies Remedies for Breach of Contract ­ Discharge (CH 11) ­ Damages for Breach of Contract  ­ Equitable Relief ­ Restitution for Unjust Enrichment in certain circumstances Damages ­ Damages money payable after wrong doing Type Description Example Expectation Victim placed as if contract performed Give me what I expected to get! Reliance Victim placed as if contract never arose Give me back what I lost! Account of  Defendant placed as if breach never occurred Give me what you never should have received! Profits Nominal Symbolize wrongdoing without loss Give me a small token Liquidated Contract sets the quantum of damages Give me what we agreed I’d get on breach Punitive Intended to punish outrageous conduct Give me enough to hurt you. Expectation Damages ­ Plaintiff receives expected benefit of contract o Plaintiff does not receive performance, but instead value of performance ­ Forward­looking damages o Plaintiff monetarily placed as if contract performed  “Give me what I expected to get!” o Integrity of promises protected ­ Calculation of expectation damages o Expected benefits minus expected costs Issues for Expectation Damages George Nico Business Law (Exam Notes) ­ Complications in calculation of damages o Difficulty of calculation  Awarded even if calculation is imprecise • Eg. Damages for lost chance in beauty contest  Not awarded if calculation is totally speculative • Eg. Value of treasure in supposedly sunken ship o “Cost of cure” or “loss of value”  Difficulty in identifying “expected benefit” • Receipt of service itself? Eg. $60000: cost of restoration • Receipt of value of service’s end product? Eg. $12000: value added to  land if restoration occurs  Cost of cure damages: cost of service • Awarded if reason is legitimate for wanting restoration  Loss of value damages: value of end product • If unreasonable discrepancy between cost and value o Alternative performance  Expectation damages difficult to quantify if contract allows defendant to  perform in a variety of ways: • Eg. Contract allows employer to terminate employment by:  o Any time, without notice if employee acts in a manner  detrimental to a company’s reputation OR o Any time after 18 months, by giving 3 months’ notice • Damages calculated on the basis of the least onerous option – “the  minimum acceptable performance” o Intangible losses and emotional distress  Intangible loss: no apparent economic value • Disappointment, anger, frustration, sadness  Damages for emotional distress traditionally denied • Rationale: difficult to assess value, and contracts are commercial  arrangements for money not feelings  Now usually available if peace of mind was expected contractual benefit.  Emotional distress treated in same manner as other types of loss  Limitations to Expectation Damages ­ Expectation damages may be reduced by: o Causation and remoteness  In order to recover losses: • Loss must in fact be caused by breach • Loss must not be legally remote from breach  Loss is not remote if either: • Defendant knew or should have known of risk of loss  Test applied at time contract is created (no hindsight)  Remoteness as a rule of fairness • Contract price reflects exposure to risk George Nico Business Law (Exam Notes) • Defendant not paid to accept unforeseeable risk  Risk management • Before entering contract, ensure other party aware of any unusual  losses you may suffer as a result of contractual breach UNLESS you  are prepared to accept such risk yourself o Failure to mitigate losses  Mitigation: minimization of losses  So­called “duty to mitigate • Plaintiff encouraged to minimize losses o Eg. Arrange alternative supply of materials after breach • Plaintiff need merely take reasonab
More Less

Related notes for LAW 122

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit