Study Guides (258,773)
CA (125,000)
Ryerson (8,695)
LAW (632)
LAW 602 (3)
Study Guide

LAW 602- Final Exam Guide - Comprehensive Notes for the exam ( 35 pages long!)

35 Pages

Department
Law and Business
Course Code
LAW 602
Professor
Eric Libman

This preview shows pages 1-4. Sign up to view the full 35 pages of the document.
Page: of

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
[LAW 602] Comprehensive winter guide including any lecture notes, textbook notes and exam guides.find more resources at oneclass.com LAW 602: Week 1 Introduction White Collar Crime Glossary • White Collar Crime: financially motivated crime committed for illegal monetary gain; crime committed by person of responsibility, high social status; from “pin stripes” to “jail stripes” – criminal offence such as fraud • Green Collar Crime: crimes committed against environment for profit, often by corporations or business ventures; polluter pays principle “you spill you pay” – regulatory offence such as pollution • Cyber Crime: crime that involves computer and network; computer may be used in commission of crime or be target of crime, fast growing area of crime due to technological advances – newer criminal offences involving fraud include identity theft and identity fraud White Collar Crime • Criminal Code – offences created by Parliament of Canada, exclusive jurisdiction to enact laws against criminal offence; Code enacted in 1892,amended each year, new crimes created, revised, repealed • Some crimes in other federal statutes, eg., drugs (Controlled Drugs and Substances Act), crimes committed by young persons (Youth Criminal Justice Act) • Criminal offences – punish morally blameworthy conduct, eg., robbing a person (robbery) but not watching person undress through open window, or failing to come to person’s assistance, unless legal duty to do so • Crimes must be codified or set out in statute, eg., no offences at common law, but common law defences exist, eg., necessity, duress • All crimes consist of 2 elements: (1) physical element or prohibited act “actus reus” and (2) mental element or fault requirement “mens rea” o Arguments of whether the mens rea is present ▪ General intent offences (things you intended to do voluntarily) o Both elements have to be proven by the crown beyond a reasonable doubt • Criminal Code contains Part dealing with fraudulent transactions: Part X – Fraudulent Transactions Relating to Contracts and Trade o Section 380 – Fraud o Section381 Using Mails to Defraud o Section 382 Fraudulent Manipulation of Stock Exchange Transactions o Section 382.1 Prohibited Insider Trading o Section 386 Fraudulent Registration of Title o Section 387 Fraudulent Sale of Real Property o Section 392 Disposal of Property to Defraud Creditors o Section 393 Fraud in Relation to Fares • Other types of fraud offences: o Section 402.2 - Identity Theft o Section 403 - Identity Fraud o Section 404 – Personation at Examination o Section 405 – Acknowledging Instrument in False Name o Section 406 – Forging Trade-mark o Section 408 – Passing Off o Section 411 – Used Goods without Disclosure • Key Principles of Criminal Law: o Presumption of Innocence: accused presumed innocent (not guilty) until proven otherwise by Crown (section 11(d) of the Charter) o Burden of Proof: Crown bears burden of proof beyond reasonable doubt of guilt of accused; accused can raise reasonable doubt so as to be found not guilty of criminal charge o Elements of Criminal Offence: all criminal elements consist of two elements which must be proven beyond reasonable doubt by Crown: physical element or prohibited act or actus reus, and mental element or fault requirement or mens rea • Fraud, s.380 (1): find more resources at oneclass.com
More Less
Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

Only pages 1-4 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit