MHR 405 Study Guide - Midterm Guide: Fiedler Contingency Model, Social Loafing, Bounded Rationality

522 views5 pages
user avatar
Published on 15 Nov 2017
School
Ryerson University
Department
Human Resources
Course
MHR 405
1. Ruby has two alternatives. If she stays in her current job, she will receive a $10 000 raise with a 100%
probability. If she accepts a job offer from another company there is a 20% chance she will make $25 000
more and an 80% chance her salary will stay the same. If Ruby is a perfectly rational decision-maker,
which of the following statements is TRUE?
a. She will attempt to satisfice
b. She will ignore economic criteria in making her decision
c. She will stay in her current job
d. She will accept the new job
e. She will quit her job, reject the job offer, and look for a different job
2. A team of people have decided to split up their work based on expertise and interest each member
chooses the work that they are most interested in. This is most likely to reduce:
a. The Storming Stage
b. The Norming Stage
c. Social Loafing
d. The time it takes to complete the task
e. Disagreements among group members
3. According to the contingency model for selecting media, which of the following choices falls into the
overload zone?
a. The impersonal static medium for a high-complexity problem
b. The face-to-face medium for a high-complexity problem
c. The interactive medium for a low-complexity problem
d. The impersonal static medium for a low-complexity problem
e. The personal static medium for a high-complexity problem
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-2 of the document.
Unlock all 5 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
4. Tata Motors utilizes the classic assembly line in manufacturing its automobile products. This is an
example of which type of interdependence?
a. Pooled
b. Reciprocal
c. Response
d. Comprehensive
e. Sequential
5. The company sends Team A to a resort for a day of outdoor challenges where they must work together to
accomplish physically demanding tasks like rock climbing. What would be the purpose of this event?
a. to engage in team building
b. to alter team composition
c. to lower cohesiveness
d. to address groupthink issues
e. none of the above
6. Which of the following is true about the stages of team development?
a. All teams go through the exact same process
b. Teams cannot experience more than one stage at a time
c. The task that teams are assigned has no impact on team development
d. Performance always increases as teams move through each developmental stage
e. None of the above are true
7. The third step in rational decision making is to
a. choose the solution that maximizes value
b. identify the criteria that are important in making the decision
c. generate a list of all available alternatives
d. evaluate the alternatives
e. implement the alternative
8. Harry is thinking about meeting Connie. He writes a text message to Connie, inviting her for a drink at the
local bar. This is an example of _____.
a. decoding
b. feedback
c. noise
d. encoding
e. miscommunication
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-2 of the document.
Unlock all 5 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

If she stays in her current job, she will receive a 000 raise with a 100% probability. If she accepts a job offer from another company there is a 20% chance she will make 000 more and an 80% chance her salary will stay the same. He writes a text message to connie, inviting her for a drink at the local bar. He has been introduced to all the group members, but he still feels like he cannot trust them. The group has not yet chosen a leader, and peter feels unsure about his exact role within the group. According to tuckman"s five-stage model of group development, which of the following stages is peter"s group currently in: norming, forming, storming, performing, adjourning, rebecca e-mails a wedding invitation to her cousin shawn. A few days later, she gets a reply saying that he can"t make it to the wedding because he will not be able to get any vacation.