MHR 523 Study Guide - Equal Pay For Equal Work, Occupational Stress, Performance Appraisal
Chapter 7 orientation/ training/ development
1. What/why/who and how?
2. How do we evaluate effectiveness?
3. What are the challenges?
Chapter 8 Performance Management
1. Why do it?
2. Who does it?
3. Uses of performance appraisal information
4. Criteria for effective goals/objectives
5. Method: advantages & disadvantages
6. Rater’s errors and how to avoid them
7. Elements/characteristics of an effective performance appraisal system
Chapter 9 Total Rewards & P4P
1. What are total rewards?
2. Job evaluation methods
3. Compensable factors, grades and ranges
4. What is Pay equity
5. What is P4P? Why P4P?
6. Long term/ short term; Group/ individual advantages and disadvantages
7. Advantages and disadvantages of pay secrecy
8. Three factors that lead to better performance
Chapter 10 Benefits
1. Strategic role of benefits: societal, organizational and employee objectives
2. Government-legislated (federal/provincial); who pays?
3. ER-sponsored benefits
4. Cost containment –healthcare costs
5. Pension plan – defined benefit versus defined contribution
6. Flex benefits plan – what is it, advantages & disadvantages
Chapter 11 Managing employee relations
1. Downward vs. upward communication
2. Employee counselling
3. Fair discipline process: preventive vs. corrective; position and progressive
4. Grounds for just cause dismissal –onus on ER
5. What constitutes “reasonable” notice”
6. Wrongful vs. constructive dismissal
7. Balance between EE’s right to privacy and ER’s right to know
Chapter 12 OHS
1. Concept of assumption of Risk
2. What are the right &responsibilities of the employer, the supervisor and the employee
3. OHS and the criminal code
4. WHMIS – Hazardous materials
5. What causes workplace accidents?
6. What is and when is substance abuse testing legal/illegal
7. Causes and consequences of workplace stress
Chapter 13 Labour relations
1. What are unions and current unionization rate in Canada?
2. IR vs. HR perspectives
3. Why do people join unions? Why do they not?
4. Core elements that form the core of Canadian labour legislation
5. ER’s right during union organizing
6. What is collective bargaining? Bargaining strategies?
7. Conciliation/ mediation/ arbitration
8. Concept of seniority
9. Union acceptance vs. Union avoidance (suppression or substitution)