Study Guides (275,728)
CA (150,975)
Ryerson (10,010)
MHR (538)
MHR 523 (230)
Midterm

MHR 523 Study Guide - Midterm Guide: Human Resource Management, Job Analysis, Reasonable Accommodation

22 Pages
Spring 2014

Department
Human Resources
Course Code
MHR 523
Professor
Anne Hardacre
Study Guide
Midterm

This preview shows pages 1-3. Sign up to view the full 22 pages of the document.
13/06/2014
Chapter 1:
What is HR?
Leadership and management of people within an organization using systems, methods, processes, and
procedures that enable employees to optimize their contribution to the organization and its goals
Humans resources department – specialized group with primary focus of ensuring the most effective use
of HR systems by managers and organization overall
Tactics: Methods, procedures, systems employed to achieve specific strategies
What is HR’s role?
Helping the organization to achieve organizational objectives
Service and support departments
Assist employees, managers, organization
Staff authority – Authority to advise, not direct, managers in other departments
Challenges?
Employees who do not contribute to an organizations goals or engage in behaviours that move the
organization away from its goals
What is strategic HR Management?
Integrating human resource management strategies and systems to support the organizations overall
mission, strategies, and success while meeting needs of employees and other stakeholders
Strategies are formed at three levels: corporate, business, functional
Value-driven, proactive focus on how best to deploy human resource tactics to enable an organization of
any size to achieve its goals
Anticipates a challenge/problem and address it before it impacts the organization
Proactive/reactive human resource management
Strategies should be formulated after consideration of organization’s environment, mission, objectives,
strategies, internal strengths and weaknesses, especially its culture
Five groups of HR activities:
Planning human resources
Attracting human resources
Placing, developing, and evaluating human resources
Motivating employees
Maintaining high performance
Factors affecting business
Economic – Global trade forces, force to increase one’s own competitiveness and productivity levels
Technological – Flexible work design, information sharing and knowledge management, automation
Demographic – Gender balance in the workplace, shift towards knowledge workers, educational
attainment of workers, aging population, generational shift
Knowledge workers: Members of occupations generating, processing, analysing, synthesizing ideas and
information
Cultural – Challenges facing a firm’s decision makers because of cultural differences among employees
or changes in core cultural or social values occurring at the larger societal level
Legal
Chapter 2:
Job vs. Position
Job: Group of related activities and duties – can be held by single employee or several persons
Position: Collection of tasks and responsibilities performed by an individual
Job Analysis
Job analysis: Systematic study of a job to discover specifications, skill requirements, etc. for wage-
setting, recruitment, training, job-simplification purposes
Explains the purpose of the job, what the job accomplishes, how the job is performed
Phases of Job Analysis
Phase 1: Preparation for Job Analysis
Familiarization with the organization and its jobs
Determine uses of job analysis information
Identify jobs to be analysed
Phase 2: Collection of Job Analysis Information
Determine sources of job data
Data collection instrument design
Choice of method for data collection
Phase 3: Use of Job Analysis Information
Information is put into job descriptions, specifications, standards, and competency models
How do you collect data to analyse a job?
Interviews
Focus groups
Mailed questionnaires
Employee log
Observation

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
13062014Chapter1WhatisHRLeadershipandmanagementofpeoplewithinanorganizationusingsystemsmethodsprocessesandproceduresthatenableemployeestooptimizetheircontributiontotheorganizationanditsgoalsHumansresourcesdepartmentspecializedgroupwithprimaryfocusofensuringthemosteffectiveuseofHRsystemsbymanagersandorganizationoverallTacticsMethodsproceduressystemsemployedtoachievespecificstrategiesWhatisHRsroleHelpingtheorganizationtoachieveorganizationalobjectivesServiceandsupportdepartmentsAssistemployeesmanagersorganizationStaffauthorityAuthoritytoadvisenotdirectmanagersinotherdepartmentsChallengesEmployeeswhodonotcontributetoanorganizationsgoalsorengageinbehavioursthatmovetheorganizationawayfromitsgoalsWhatisstrategicHRManagementIntegratinghumanresourcemanagementstrategiesandsystemstosupporttheorganizationsoverallmissionstrategiesandsuccesswhilemeetingneedsofemployeesandotherstakeholdersStrategiesareformedatthreelevelscorporatebusinessfunctionalValuedrivenproactivefocusonhowbesttodeployhumanresourcetacticstoenableanorganizationofanysizetoachieveitsgoalsAnticipatesachallengeproblemandaddressitbeforeitimpactstheorganizationProactivereactivehumanresourcemanagementStrategiesshouldbeformulatedafterconsiderationoforganizationsenvironmentmissionobjectivesstrategiesinternalstrengthsandweaknessesespeciallyitscultureFivegroupsofHRactivitiesPlanninghumanresourcesAttractinghumanresourcesPlacingdevelopingandevaluatinghumanresourcesMotivatingemployeesMaintaininghighperformanceFactorsaffectingbusinessEconomicGlobaltradeforcesforcetoincreaseonesowncompetitivenessandproductivitylevelsTechnologicalFlexibleworkdesigninformationsharingandknowledgemanagementautomationDemographicGenderbalanceintheworkplaceshifttowardsknowledgeworkerseducationalattainmentofworkersagingpopulationgenerationalshiftKnowledgeworkersMembersofoccupationsgeneratingprocessinganalysingsynthesizingideasandinformationCulturalChallengesfacingafirmsdecisionmakersbecauseofculturaldifferencesamongemployeesorchangesincoreculturalorsocialvaluesoccurringatthelargersocietallevelLegalChapter2JobvsPositionJobGroupofrelatedactivitiesanddutiescanbeheldbysingleemployeeorseveralpersonsPositionCollectionoftasksandresponsibilitiesperformedbyanindividualJobAnalysis
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-3 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit