MHR 741 Study Guide - Final Guide: Information Seeking, Cognitive Dissonance, Empowered

156 views10 pages
Chapter 1: Self Awareness
Sensitive line- this concept refers to the point at which individuals become defensive or protective when
encountering information about themselves that is inconsistent with their self-concept or when
encountering pressure to alter their behavior (you look tired today, but your fine so the info inconsistent
ith self aareess ut sie its soethig little ou ot get ad e. You’re a ad aager ut ou
think your good)
Threat-rigidity response- response to when someone crosses the sensitive line;when individuals are
threatened, when they
Chapter 9: Building Effective Teams and Teamwork
-Tuckman 1965: 4 stages of team development:
Forming-The team is faced with the need to become acquainted with its members, its purpose, and its
boundaries. Relationships must be formed and trust established. Clarity of direction is needed from team
leaders (who are these people? What is expected of me?
Norming-The team is faced with creating cohesion and unity, differentiating roles, identifying
expectations for members, and enhancing commitment. Providing supportive feedback and fostering
commitment to a vision are needed from team leaders (team values? How can I get along with others?)
Storming-The team is faced with disagreements, counterdependence, and the need to manage conflict.
Challenges include violations of team norms and expectations and overcoming groupthink. Focusing on
process improvement, recognizing team achievement, and fostering win/win relationships are needed
from team leaders.
Performing-The team is faced with the need for continuous improvement, innovation, speed, and
apitalizig o ore opeteies. “posorig tea eers’ e ideas, orchestrating their
implementation, and fostering extraordinary performance are needed from the team leaders.
CLASS 6- Chapter 4: Building Relationships By Communicating Supportively
Supportive communication-seeks to preserve or enhance a positive relationship between you and
another person while still addressing a problem giving negative feedback, or tackling a difficult issue
-minimizes defensiveness and disconfirmation in the other person
non-supportive communication- reduces r ruins a positive relationship between you and another person
when addressing a problem, giving negative feedback, or tacking difficult issue
-increases defensiveness and disconfirmation in the other
Defensiveness:
1. Messages attack or punish the other person
2. Other feels threatened and reacts with anger, competitiveness or avoidance
3. Energy spent on self-protection and defense, rather than listening
Disconfirmation:
1. Messages discount or reject another, show a negative regard for the other, or regards other as
inferior
2. Other feels put down, ineffectual, or insignificant because of the communication
3. Energy spent on building themselves up to reestablish self-worth, rather than listening
8 Attributes of Supportive Communication:
1. Congruent- a focus on honest messages where verbal statements match thoughts and feelings
(ex. Your behavior really upset me)
2. Descriptive- a focus on describing an objective occurrence, describing your reaction to it, and
offering a suggested alternative (ex. Here is what happened; here is my reaction; here is a
suggestion that would be more acceptable)
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-3 of the document.
Unlock all 10 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
-Reduces the tendency to evaluate and cause defensiveness.
1. Describes objectively the event, behavior, or circumstance
2. Focus on the behavior and your reaction
3. Focus on solution
3. Problem-Oriented- a focus on problems and issues that can be changed rather than people and
their characteristics (ex. How can we solve this problem?)
4. Validating- a focus on statements that communicate respect, flexibility, collaboration, and areas
of agreement (ex/ I have some ideas but do you have any suggestions?
-Invalidating conveys
Superiority
Rigidity
Indifference
Imperviousness
-Validating is
Egalitarian
Flexible,
Two-way
Based on agreement
5. Specific- a focus on specific events or behaviors and avoid general, extreme, or either or
statements (ex. Your interrupted me three times during the meeting)
6. Conjunctive-a focus on statements that flow from what has been said previously and facilitate
interaction (ex. Relating to what you just sad, id like t raise another point)
-Conjunctive is communication that is joined to a p=previous message
-disconjuctive communication occurs when there is:
1. lack of opportunity for others to speak
2.exended pauses
3.topic control
7. Owned- a focus on taking responsibility for your own statements by using (I) words (ex I have
decided to turn down your request because..)
-owned communication (I language) acknowledges the source of the idea
-disowned communication (they, we) results in the listener never being sure of whose point of view the
message represents
8. Supportive Listening(2-Way)- a focus on using a variety of appropriate responses, with a bias
toward reflective responses (ex what do you think are the obstacles standing in the way of
improvement?)
4 Types of responses:
advising- provides direction, evaluation, personal opinion, or instructions (help communicator
understand something that was unclear, identity a problem solution, and clarity on how to act on a
problem)
deflecting-switches the focus from the communicators problem to one selected by the listener, listener
changes the subject and substitute their own experience (let me tell you what happened to me)
probing- asks a question about what the communicator just said or about a topic selected by the listener
(intent to acquire additional info to help communicator say more)
- 4 types of probes:
elaboration- can you tell me more about that? (not enough info)
clarification- what do you mean by that? (message is unclear)
repetition- once again what do you think of this (when their avoiding)
reflection- you say your discouraged? (communicator is being encouraged to pursue same topic
reflecting- is to mirror back to the communicator the message that was heard and to communicate
understanding and acceptance of the person
coaching- focuses on abilities
- helping to show the way, providing information or advice, and assisting team members with task
requirement
Unlock document

- It doesn’t mean that the team leader becomes con- trolling or takes over. It means that coaches
help others perform well while not being actively involved themselves
counseling-focuses on attitudes
Class 7-Chapter 7: Managing Conflict
Conflict- exists when one person has a need of another and that need is not being met
People-focused (relationship) conflict- stems from what happens between people when conflict is
focused on the characteristics of the other person, personality etc
-refers to in your face kind of confrontations in which affect level is high and the intense emotional
heat is likely fueled by moral indignation
Issue-focused (task related) conflict- stems from competing ideas, proposals, interests or
resources. The type of conflict is viewed as constructive
-are more like rational negotiations which can be thought of as an interpersonal decision making
process by which 2 of more people agree how to allocate scare resources
4 sources of interpersonal conflict
personal differences-conflicts stem from personal values and needs
-most difficult to solve, become highly emotional and take on moral overtones (whats factually
correct turns into whos morally right)
informational deficiencies- conflicts evolve from misinformation and misunderstanding (ex.
Important message may not be received a bosss instructions may be misinterpreted)
-easy to resolve less emotional, minimal resentment
-ex. Staff doubled, new and old staff didnt get along, communication was the issue
role incompatibility- from the perception that assigned goals and responsibilities compete with
those of others
-reason members perceive their assigned role is incompatible is that they are operating from
different bases of information
environmentally induced stress- results from the stressful events of the organizational
environment (resource scarcity or uncertainty)
-ex. Organization is forced to operate on an austere budget
-when individuals are uncertain on their status in an organization they become anxious and prone to
conflict=frustration conflict: rapid repeated change
Selecting the Appropriate Conflict Management Approach
Forcing response (assertive, uncooperative)- is an attempt to satisfy ones own needs at the expense
of the needs of the other individual
-ex. Using physical threats, Im the boss so well do it my way
Unlock document

Document Summary

You"re a (cid:271)ad (cid:373)a(cid:374)ager (cid:271)ut (cid:455)ou think your good) Threat-rigidity response- response to when someone crosses the sensitive line;when individuals are threatened, when they. Forming-the team is faced with the need to become acquainted with its members, its purpose, and its boundaries. Norming-the team is faced with creating cohesion and unity, differentiating roles, identifying expectations for members, and enhancing commitment. Storming-the team is faced with disagreements, counterdependence, and the need to manage conflict. Challenges include violations of team norms and expectations and overcoming groupthink. Focusing on process improvement, recognizing team achievement, and fostering win/win relationships are needed from team leaders. Performing-the team is faced with the need for continuous improvement, innovation, speed, and (cid:272)apitalizi(cid:374)g o(cid:374) (cid:272)ore (cid:272)o(cid:373)pete(cid:374)(cid:272)ies. Po(cid:374)sori(cid:374)g tea(cid:373) (cid:373)e(cid:373)(cid:271)ers" (cid:374)e(cid:449) ideas, orchestrating their implementation, and fostering extraordinary performance are needed from the team leaders. Class 6- chapter 4: building relationships by communicating supportively.