Module 1

4 Pages

Department
Marketing
Course Code
MKT 100
Professor
Paul Finlayson

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 4 pages of the document.
MODULE 1
WHAT IS MARKETING?
Business discipline responsible for product innovation that satisfies customers and
creates profit, capital and prosperity
Modern marketer must have both process thinking and political skills
Focus on excellence in distribution and customer relationship processes
About new inventions in trading that increase product quality, reduce price and
increase customer satisfaction, which in turn increases profit
THE HISTORY OF TRADING AND WEALTH CREATION
Societies that prospered and came to dominate were lucky to start off in
environments with right materials and climates to invent and use tools
Societys ability to trade rather than raid is crucial to survival, success, prosperity
and power
Lesson to political leaders: respect, promote, improve, and advance your traders and
their trading and marketing skills
North America came to dominate world trade not because its traders were so good
but because the leadership of other nations was so bad
Marketings two drivers of wealth and welfare creation:
1. Schumpeterian growth: comes from intrinsic extra value/utility that
technological invention adds in use
The marketing of creative new innovation destroys the markets of old
innovations
2. Smithian growth: added-value created, not by the invention in use, but by
exchange of inventions
Increases value, wealth and welfare
Virtuous circle/cycle effect is the economic growth engine that has
propelled civilization forward
Innovations of global transportation and communication created global
marketplace and is raising the prosperity and quality of life of humanity
Increases efficiency of utilization of earths dwindling resources
MASTER TRADERS
Distribution system in North America leads as the innovator and mass market
trendsetter in reducing supply-chain and distribution costs with greater systems
control and management of quality and risk
Important to be on trade route cross-roads where innovation between economies and
cultures inter-mix and turn economies and societies in these great trading hubs into
centers of cross-cultural fertilization, innovation, prosperity, enlightenment and
power
Creates mixing of culture
In three to four generations, take advances in distribution for granted, not
understanding how to fully react as an economy, society, culture, and species to this
new reality
www.notesolution.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
MODULE 1 WHAT IS MARKETING? Business discipline responsible for product innovation that satisfies customers and creates profit, capital and prosperity Modern marketer must have both process thinking and political skills Focus on excellence in distribution and customer relationship processes About new inventions in trading that increase product quality, reduce price and increase customer satisfaction, which in turn increases profit THE HISTORY OF TRADING AND WEALTH CREATION Societies that prospered and came to dominate were lucky to start off in environments with right materials and climates to invent and use tools Societys ability to trade rather than raid is crucial to survival, success, prosperity and power Lesson to political leaders: respect, promote, improve, and advance your traders and their trading and marketing skills North America came to dominate world trade not because its traders were so good but because the leadership of other nations was so bad Marketings two drivers of wealth and welfare creation: 1. Schumpeterian growth: comes from intrinsic extra valueutility that technological invention adds in use The marketing of creative new innovation destroys the markets of old innovations 2. Smithian growth: added-value created, not by the invention in use, but by exchange of inventions Increases value, wealth and welfare Virtuous circlecycle effect is the economic growth engine that has propelled civilization forward Innovations of global transportation and communication created global marketplace and is raising the prosperity and quality of life of humanity Increases efficiency of utilization of earths dwindling resources MASTER TRADERS Distribution system in North America leads as the innovator and mass market trendsetter in reducing supply-chain and distribution costs with greater systems control and management of quality and risk Important to be on trade route cross-roads where innovation between economies and cultures inter-mix and turn economies and societies in these great trading hubs into centers of cross-cultural fertilization, innovation, prosperity, enlightenment and power Creates mixing of culture In three to four generations, take advances in distribution for granted, not understanding how to fully react as an economy, society, culture, and species to this new reality www.notesolution.com
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit