14 Pages
Winter 2011

Department
Marketing
Course Code
MKT 100
Professor
Ida Berger

This preview shows pages 1-3. Sign up to view the full 14 pages of the document.
Marketing Review
Pre Midterm
Lecture 1 What is Marketing/Module 1
- marketing is the activity, set of institutions, and processes for creating, communicating,
delivering, and exchanging offerings that have value for customers, clients, partners, and society
at large
- the Marketing Mix (4Ps- Price, Promotion, Product, Place)
- value is created through innovation and exchange
- Smithian Wealth Creation Principle through exchange/trading
- Schumpertian growth is through creative destruction
- diffusion of innovation
o great/rapid innovations most important in meeting needs, invention,
development, branding, advertising, pricing, distribution and after sales
servicing of ANTIBIOTICS is world renowned
- wealth is created through exchange and innovation, however with no innovation and exchange
there is no wealth or welfare
- product life cycle = introduction, growth, maturity (decline towards introduction of new
product)
Lecture 2/Module 2
- businesses with no new buyers, low employee morale, outdated equipments, no new products,
ineffective advertising, smaller orders from existing buyers are caused by:
o no new products which leads to...
x ineffective advertising, low employee morale, smaller existing
orders, no new orders, outdated equipment
- ñ[
o Company
x Products
x Image
x Experience
x Culture
x Goals
*what does business do? what is it selling? what unique
position does it have? how do customers, competitors and the
market place view company? Strengths and weakness? where
does it want to go?
o Customers
o Collaborators
x distributors
x suppliers
x alliances
*who does distribution, who is the company working with, who
helps process payments, handles inventory, how can
relationships with collaborators grow, are there any other
companies with whom they should have a relationship?
www.notesolution.com
o Competitors
x market size, growth, trends
x segments and benefits sought
x decision process
x frequency
x quantity
x motivation
*what benefits are consumers looking for, what motivates them
to purchase, where do they buy the product, how is it
purchased, what is the quantity and frequency of purchase,
what is the future of the product/service
o Climate
x Actual or potential
x Direct or indirect
x Products
x Positioning
x Market share
*who are the main competitors, are there any substitutes for
products/service, emerging business that may harm the
company, what do customers think of other companies, what
is their market share and position?
Lecture 3 Environmental Scanning/Module 2
- PEST
o Political
x government policies, structures, regulations
x political trends
x tax issues
x current domestic/future legislation, employment law
x environmental regulations
x consumer protection
x industry specific regulations
x competitive regulations
x shareholder/stakeholder, needs/demands
o Economic
x domestic/global economic trends
x taxation issues
x market and trade cycles
x market distribution trends
x disposable income
x job growth/unemployment
x inflation
x consumer confidence index
x internal finance/cash flow
o Socio-cultural
x consumer values, attitudes and opinions
x media views
www.notesolution.com
x laws affecting social factors
x brand, company, technology image
x consumer buying patterns
x demographics
x lifestyle changes
x population shifts
x education
x trends/fads
x living standards
o Technological
x competing tech development
x research funding
x associated/dependent tech
x replacement tech/solutions
x maturity of tech
x manu maturity and capacity
x info and communications
x consumer buying mechanisms/tech
x tech legislation
x tech access/lisencing/patents
x intellectual property issues
x rate of obsolescence
x software innovation and changes
- SWOT
o Strengths t internal
x process competitive adv.
x strong partners
x strong brand rep
x resources, patents, assets, people
x experience, knowledge
x deep pockets
x excellent distribution reach
x processes, systems, IT, communication
x team based culture (open to change)
x company politics and values
o Weaknesses t internal
x process competitive disadv.
x weak partners
x weak bran rep
x no resources, patents, assets, people
x inexperience, lack knowledge
x processes systems, IT, communications
x bureaucratic cultural, attitudinal (resists change)
x company politics and values
o Opportunities t external
x industry or lifestyle trends
www.notesolution.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Marketing Review Pre Midterm Lecture 1 What is Marketing/Module 1 - marketing is the activity, set of institutions, and processes for creating, communicating, delivering, and exchanging offerings that have value for customers, clients, partners, and society at large - the Marketing Mix (4Ps- Price, Promotion, Product, Place) - value is created through innovation and exchange - Smithian Wealth Creation Principle through exchange/trading - Schumpertian growth is through creative destruction - diffusion of innovation o great/rapid innovations most important in meeting needs, invention, development, branding, advertising, pricing, distribution and after sales servicing of ANTIBIOTICS is world renowned - wealth is created through exchange and innovation, however with no innovation and exchange there is no wealth or welfare - product life cycle = introduction, growth, maturity (decline towards introduction of new product) Lecture 2/Module 2 - businesses with no new buyers, low employee morale, outdated equipments, no new products, ineffective advertising, smaller orders from existing buyers are caused by: o no new products which leads to... N ineffective advertising, low employee morale, smaller existing orders, no new orders, outdated equipment - [Z o Company N Products N Image N Experience N Culture N Goals *what does business do? what is it selling? what unique position does it have? how do customers, competitors and the market place view company? Strengths and weakness? where does it want to go? o Customers o Collaborators N distributors N suppliers N alliances *who does distribution, who is the company working with, who helps process payments, handles inventory, how can relationships with collaborators grow, are there any other companies with whom they should have a relationship? www.notesolution.com o Competitors N market size, growth, trends N segments and benefits sought N decision process N frequency N quantity N motivation *what benefits are consumers looking for, what motivates them to purchase, where do they buy the product, how is it purchased, what is the quantity and frequency of purchase, what is the future of the product/service o Climate N Actual or potential N Direct or indirect N Products N Positioning N Market share *who are the main competitors, are there any substitutes for products/service, emerging business that may harm the company, what do customers think of other companies, what is their market share and position? Lecture 3 Environmental Scanning/Module 2 - PEST o Political N government policies, structures, regulations N political trends N tax issues N current domestic/future legislation, employment law N environmental regulations N consumer protection N industry specific regulations N competitive regulations N shareholder/stakeholder, needs/demands o Economic N domestic/global economic trends N taxation issues N market and trade cycles N market distribution trends N disposable income N job growth/unemployment N inflation N consumer confidence index N internal finance/cash flow o Socio-cultural N consumer values, attitudes and opinions N media views www.notesolution.com N laws affecting social factors N brand, company, technology image N consumer buying patterns N demographics N lifestyle changes N population shifts N education N trends/fads N living standards o Technological N competing tech development N research funding N associated/dependent tech N replacement tech/solutions N maturity of tech N manu maturity and capacity N info and communications N consumer buying mechanisms/tech N tech legislation N tech access/lisencing/patents N intellectual property issues N rate of obsolescence N software innovation and changes - SWOT o Strengths J internal N process competitive adv. N strong partners N strong brand rep N resources, patents, assets, people N experience, knowledge N deep pockets N excellent distribution reach N processes, systems, IT, communication N team based culture (open to change) N company politics and values o Weaknesses J internal N process competitive disadv. N weak partners N weak bran rep N no resources, patents, assets, people N inexperience, lack knowledge N processes systems, IT, communications N bureaucratic cultural, attitudinal (resists change) N company politics and values o Opportunities J external N industry or lifestyle trends www.notesolution.com
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-3 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit