Study Guides (238,207)
Canada (115,009)
Marketing (501)
MKT 100 (251)

Week 10 Summary_MKT.docx

5 Pages
Unlock Document

Ryerson University
MKT 100
Caitlin Mc Laughlin

Week 10 Summary – Brand Management and New Product Development Brand Management A brand is a singular idea or concept that you own inside the mind of a prospect. Ries and Trout, The 22 Immutable Laws of Branding The Law of Expansion • The power of the brand is inversely proportional to its scope • In the long run expanding a brand may diminish its power and weaken its image For example American Express lost a lot of market share since it was not able to focus on its market niche well. It was a prestige company but it partnered up with other stores that made them lose market share The Law of Contraction • A brand becomes stronger when you narrow its focus – Narrow focus – Stock in depth – Buy cheap – Sell cheap – Dominate the category The Law of Publicity • The birth of a brand is achieved with publicity, not advertising. • What others say is more powerful than what you say. • It is better to be first than to be better, because being first generates publicity. The Law of Advertising • Once born, a brand needs advertising to stay healthy. • Advertising dollars keep you from losing share to competitors, because it makes it difficult for them to pay the price of competing with you. • Advertise brand leadership not quality • For consumers, leadership = quality For example, Coca-Cola The Law of the Word A brand should strive to own a word in the mind of the consumer. e.g., Kraft Dinner, Q-tips The Law of Credentials The crucial ingredient in the success of any brand is in its claim to authenticity Coke – “the real thing” If not the leading brand in a category, then create a category: eg. PolaroidThe Law of Quality • Quality is important, but brands are not built by quality alone. • Almost no correlation between success in the marketplace and comparative testing of products • Quality resides in the mind of the buyer • Follow the laws of branding to build that perception: contraction = specialist = quality The Law of Extensions • The easiest way to destroy a brand is to put its name on everything. • Line extensions can erode core brands • Building brands versus milking brands The Law of Fellowship • In order to build the category, a brand should welcome other brands. • Two major brands is ideal – makes consumers more conscious of the category Similar Businesses Locate Together The Law of Siblings • There is a time and a place to launch a second brand. • Make each sibling a unique individual brand with its own identity – Focus on a common product area – Select an attribute to segment eg. price – Set up rigid distinctions among brands – Create different brand names The Law of Shape • A brand‟s logotype should be designed to fit the needs. Both size • Because eyes are side by side, the ideal shape is horizontal. The Law of Colour • A brand should use a colour that is the opposite of its major competitor‟s. • White – colour of purity • Black – colour of luxury • Blue – colour of leadership • Purple – colour of royalty • Green – colour of the environment and health • Red – colour of excitement and energy The Law of Mortality • No brand can live forever. Euthanasia is often the best solution. • They are born, they mature and they eventually die. New Product Development Product Innovation – Key Themes Superior product innovation leads to features that better fit customer segment benefits and increase shareholder value. The product development process must produce the innovations that drive profit, shareholder value, customer value, brand reputation and equity. (product>consumer>product) Reality of New Product Innovation Over the last decade, 86% of new product launches by 108 companies were simple product-line extensions and imitations. Why?? The remaining 14% were new generation, new market innovations… but these new market products generated 60% of the profits! W. Chan Kim and Renee Mauborgne, Blue Ocean Strategy, Harvard Business School Press, Cambridge MA, 2005 „KISS‟ Principle “Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.” Einstein Blue Ocean Strategy RED OCEAN STRATEGY BLUE OCEAN STRATEGY
More Less

Related notes for MKT 100

Log In


Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Sign up

Join to view


By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.