Philosophy
Course
PHL 214
Professor
Julien Beillard
Semester
Summer

Description
FINAL EXAM REVIEW Chapter 5 Irrelevant Premises  Equivocation o Use of a word in two different senses in an argument  Only man is rational. No woman is a man. Therefore, no woman is rational.  Appeal to Ignorance o Arguing that a lack of evidence proves something  No one has shown that ghosts aren’t real, so they must be real  Appeal to emotion o Persuade someone of a conclusion solely by arousing their feelings  You should hire me for this job. If you don’t, I won’t be able to pay for my mother’s heart medication.  Red Herring o Deliberate raising of an irrelevant issue during an argument Unacceptable Premises  Begging the Question o Using the conclusion of an argument as a premise o Often says the same thing, but using different words  False Dilemma o Asserting that there are only two options when there are more o Asserting that there are two distinct options which may not be mutually exclusive (or not independent of each other)  Slippery Slope o To argue, without good reason, that taking one step will inevitably lead to a further, undesirable step  Hasty Generalization o Drawing a conclusion about a whole group  Faulty Analogy o Arguing that because two things are similar in one respect, they must be similar in another Chapter 6
More Less

Related notes for PHL 214

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit