study guide

3 Pages

Department
Philosophy
Course Code
PHL 302
Professor
Glen Hoffmann

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
RYERSON UNIVERSITY
PHL302 (011): Ethics and HealthcareFall 2009
SECOND QUIZ: IDEAL ANSWERS
Questions:
(1) Define the moral principle of informed consent in healthcare (3 marks).
The moral principle of informed consent states that, as a healthcare provider, one
ought to acquire the knowing authorization of any competent patient (e.g., mentally
competent, of sufficient age and maturity, etc.) for any significant action, procedure
or operation, that the patient undergoes. The principle demands two things: (1)
informing a patient fully about any significant medical action she might undergo,
and (2) acquiring her authorization for this action.
(2) Define the moral principle of veracity in healthcare (3 marks).
The moral principle of veracity states that healthcare providers should, all things
being equal, be truthful and honest in their dealings with patients. In particular, this
means healthcare providers should be open and honest in providing any
information about a patient’s health with respect to diagnoses, prognoses, and the
like.
(3) Define the moral principle of justice and explain its relationship to the issue of
distributive justice in healthcare (4 marks).
The moral principle of justice generally refers to fairness or justice. It states that
one ought to be as fair or equitable as possible in one’s dealings with others, as far
as what’s owed to them.
One problem is that in giving something to one person we inevitably deny another
person something. This is a particular problem in healthcare where there are
limited resources to go around. Since there are not enough healthcare resources
such as medicine, medical equipment, medical labour to go around, we need some
principle for distributing healthcare resources in a fair or equitable manner.
Without a principle of distributive justice we risk allocating healthcare resources in
an unfair or arbitrary manner.
www.notesolution.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
1 RYERSON UNIVERSITY PHL302 (011): Ethics and Healthcare Fall 2009 SECOND QUIZ: IDEAL ANSWERS Questions: (1) Define the moral principle of informed consent in healthcare (3 marks). The moral principle of informed consent states that, as a healthcare provider, one ought to acquire the knowing authorization of any competent patient (e.g., mentally competent, of sufficient age and maturity, etc.) for any significant action, procedure or operation, that the patient undergoes. The principle demands two things: (1) informing a patient fully about any significant medical action she might undergo, and (2) acquiring her authorization for this action. (2) Define the moral principle of veracity in healthcare (3 marks). The moral principle of veracity states that healthcare providers should, all things being equal, be truthful and honest in their dealings with patients. In particular, this means healthc
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit