study guide

1 Page

Department
Philosophy
Course Code
PHL 302
Professor
Glen Hoffmann

This preview shows half of the first page. Sign up to view the full page of the document.
Question Set 1
1Which of the following problems are likely to be studied by a microeconomist and which
by a macroeconomist?
a. The rapid growth of Microsoft
b. Why unemployment in Canada rose from 1990 to 1991
c. Why Japan’s economy grew faster than the U.S. economy in the 1980s, but more
slowly in the 1990s
d. Why university tuition fees have risen so rapidly in recent years
2Explain what we mean by potential output (GDP). Explain why potential GDP does not
depend on the price level. Is it possible that real GDP might be larger or smaller than
potential GDP?
3What are the implications of differences between actual and potential GDP for the
unemployment rate and the rate of utilization of factories and machinery?
4Okun’s Law says that differences between the growth rate in potential output and the
growth rate in real GDP change the unemployment rate as follows:
u = - ½ (gY –gY
p
)
Based on the data in the following table, calculate the annual growth rates of potential
output and real GDP. If the unemployment rate in 2000 were 7.0 percent, what
unemployment rate would Okun’s Law predict for the years 2001, 2002, and 2003?
Year
Potential Output
(billions 1999$)
Real GDP
(billions 1999$)
1998 1,038 1,017
1999 1,069 1,030
2000 1,101 1,101
2001 1,134 1,160
2002 1,168 1,139
2003 1,203 1,130
2004 1,240 1,187
5Define aggregate demand and explain the difference between an aggregate demand
function and an aggregate expenditure function.
www.notesolution.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Question Set 1 1 Which of the following problems are likely to be studied by a microeconomist and which by a macroeconomist? a. The rapid growth of Microsoft b. Why unemployment in Canada rose from 1990 to 1991 c. Why Japans economy grew faster than the U.S. economy in the 1980s, but more slowly in the 1990s d. Why university tuition fees have risen so rapidly in recent years 2 Explain what we mean by potential output (GDP). Explain why potential GDP does not depend on the price level. Is it possible that real GDP might be larger or smaller than potential GDP? 3 What are the implications of differences between actual and potential GDP for the unemployment rate and the rate of utilization of factories and machinery? 4 Okuns Law says that differences between the growth rate in potential output and the growth rate in real GDP change the unemployment rate as follows: u = - (gY gY p Based on the data
More Less
Unlock Document

Only half of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit