W1. INTRODUCTION TO PERSONALITY THEORY
Popular Personality Theory
Representative Heuristic (Tversky and Kahneman)
- People are driven to ﬁnd meaning in ambiguity
-Psychics , horoscopes, dating web sites?
-psychics - cold and hot reading
-Cold reading - When they give you ambiguous statements
-(hot readings) - When psychics google search you and ﬁnd out about you etc.
-Horoscopes - making sense of non-sense
-Dating web sites - is this personality?!
Who are you?
- We all have a sense of ourselves
- Sometimes we deﬁne out self by how we deﬁne others
- we always think we’re the normal one
Five goals of the personality theorist
-Observation that is scientiﬁc
-Large and diverse populations
-objective (not subjective) scientiﬁc methods and measures
2. Theory is systematic
- Logical and coherent
3. Theory that is testable
- There are inﬁnite personalities ( must be falsiﬁable)
- You are born with your personality already set in stone
4. Theory that is comprehensive
- should address all psychologically signiﬁcant aspects of persons (ie.
5. Application : Convert data based theory into practical application