Class 4

2 Pages
Unlock Document

Ryerson University
Social Sciences and Humanities
SSH 105
Klaas Kraay

George Nico Critical Thinking (Notes) 10/05/12 CH 3: Making Sense of Arguments Missing /Implicit/Unstated/Suppressed Premises - Arguments with Missing Premises: o “If tuition fees continue to rise, I won’t be able to afford to go to school. I’m telling you: school will soon be unaffordable.” - Arguments with a Missing Conclusion o “If atheism were true, there would be on such thing as objective right and wrong. But morality is objective.” - Missing Premise and Conclusion: o “Murder Clyde? I was in jail when he was killed!” ** Remember: always follow the Principle of Charity. ** A three-step procedure for finding implicit premises: 1. Search for a credible premise that would make the argument deductively valid. Try to find a premise that a. Is plausible, and b. Best fits with the author’s intent (Principle of Charity) If you cannot think of one, proceed to the next step. 2. Search for a credible premise that would make the argument inductively strong. If you cannot find one, then reject the argument 3. If you were able to reconstitute the argument in Steps 1 or 2, then evacuate it: determine whether it is sound or cogent. *** Check the method for classifying and evaluating arguments in the textbook *** Step 0: Determine whether the passage contains an argument. Deductive Argument Patterns - There are some
More Less

Related notes for SSH 105

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.