Mid Term MCQ's

7 Pages

Department
Sociology
Course Code
SOC 103
Professor
Sal Guzzo

This preview shows pages 1-2. Sign up to view the full 7 pages of the document.
practice test
Multiple Choice
Identify the choice that best completes the statement or answers the question.
____ 1. Who described sociological reasoning as the sociological imagination?
a. Emile Durkheim
b. Talcott Parsons
c. Wright Mills
d. Peter Berger
____ 2. What characterizes middle-income countries?
a. highly industrialized economies
b. little industrialization and primarily agrarian economies
c. moderate levels of national and personal income
d. technologically advanced administrative and service occupa-
tions
____ 3. What are countries that are primarily agrarian in nature, with little industrial-
ization and low levels of national and personal income called?
a. developing countries
b. high-income countries
c. middle-income countries
d. low-income countries
____ 4. What theorist’s emphasis on social stability or the “problem of order” has
been criticized for obscuring the subjective meanings that individuals give to social phenom-
ena such as religion, work, and suicide?
a. Karl Marx
b. Wright Mills
c. Max Weber
d. Emile Durkheim
____ 5. Who are the bourgeoisie?
a. Those who own and control the means of production.
b. Those who sell their labour in order to earn a livelihood.
c. Those who are unemployed.
d. Those who are opposed to the capitalist.
____ 6. If you were to apply verstehen to social analysis, which of the following
would you be doing?
a. Supporting the proletariat by bringing values into research.
b. Employing understanding to gain the ability to see the world
as others see it.
c. Trying to enlighten others to the social facts around them.
d. Acknowledging and promoting personal beliefs and biases.
____ 7. Who analyzed how social interactions vary as a function of the size of the
social group?
a. Georg Simmel
b. Harriet Martineau
c. Herbert Spencer
d. Emile Durkheim
____ 8. What do sociologists call a set of logically interrelated statements that attempts
to describe, explain, and (occasionally) predict social events?
a. perspective
b. hypothesis
c. premise
d. theory
____ 9. Suppose you took a functionalist perspective. How would you describe the
social organization of a school division?
a. An interrelated part that functions to serve the wider school
system.
b. A separate part functioning within the bureaucratic structure
of public schools.
c. A dysfunctional organization characterized by conflict.
d. The sum of individual and group interactions within schools.
____ 10. With regard to the major sociological perspectives and what they say about
the nature of society, the text points out which of the following?
a. Conflict approaches focus on social cohesion and order.
b. The functionalist perspective emphasizes social tension and
www.notesolution.com
a. Conflict approaches focus on social cohesion and order.
b. The functionalist perspective emphasizes social tension and
change.
c. The feminist perspectives seek to replace male supremacy with
female dominance.
d. The symbolic interactionist perspective views society as the
sum of the interactions of people and groups.
____ 11. When scientists try to ensure that their biases and values do NOT affect their
research, what are they trying to achieve?
a. objectivity
b. ethical conduct
c. verifiability
d. value-free research
____ 12. How does the text refer to the relationship between theory and research?
a. as a dyadic process
b. as a continuous cycle
c. as a deductive process
d. as a love-hate relationship
____ 13. What do sociologists call an explanation of an abstract concept in terms of
observable features that are specific enough to allow measurement of the variable?
a. a premise
b. an operational definition
c. a theory
d. a hypothesis
____ 14. Which of the following would best be utilized when studying how people in a
small town recover and rebuild after an earthquake has devastated most of their homes and
businesses?
a. observational research models
b. qualitative research models
c. quantitative research models
d. systemic research models
____ 15. As part of a study, Sarah is attempting to click a button every time she sees
the colour red flash across a computer screen. Because she is being watched carefully by the
researcher, she is nervous and misses some of the cues. Which characteristic is Sarah
demonstrating when she does this?
a. reflection
b. variability
c. reactivity
d. spontaneity
____ 16. According to the text, which of the following is the greatest limitation of
laboratory research?
a. Laboratory research typically produces quantitative data.
b. Laboratory experiments are expensive.
c. Laboratory experiments are artificial.
d. Laboratory experiments cannot be replicated.
____ 17. Suppose you and your classmates were asked an identical set of questions
through a systematic questionnaire or interview. In what kind of research would you be
participating?
a. a survey
b. secondary data analysis
c. a case study
d. an experiment
____ 18. Suppose a team of researchers conducts a study of shopping preferences by
sampling a group of mall patrons in a food court. What do sociologists call the people who
participated in the interview or questionnaire?
a. respondents
b. hypothetical subjects
c. interviewees
d. correspondents
____ 19. Laud Humphreys studied homosexual acts between strangers meeting in
public restrooms. In the course of his research, which of the following can be raised as an
ethical concern?
a. He broke the law by wearing disguises and following people
home.
b. He obtained their informed consent under duress.
c. He manipulated his research subjects.
d. He did not inform his subjects that they were being studied.
www.notesolution.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
practice test Multiple Choice Identify the choice that best completes the statement or answers the question. ____ 1. Who described sociological reasoning as the sociological imagination? a. Emile Durkheim b. Talcott Parsons c. Wright Mills d. Peter Berger ____ 2. What characterizes middle-income countries? a. highly industrialized economies b. little industrialization and primarily agrarian economies c. moderate levels of national and personal income d. technologically advanced administrative and service occupa- tions ____ 3. What are countries that are primarily agrarian in nature, with little industrial- ization and low levels of national and personal income called? a. developing countries b. high-income countries c. middle-income countries d. low-income countries ____ 4. What theorists emphasis on social stability or the problem of order has been criticized for obscuring the subjective meanings that individuals give to social phenom- ena such as religion, work, and suicide? a. Karl Marx b. Wright Mills c. Max Weber d. Emile Durkheim ____ 5. Who are the bourgeoisie? a. Those who own and control the means of production. b. Those who sell their labour in order to earn a livelihood. c. Those who are unemployed. d. Those who are opposed to the capitalist. ____ 6. If you were to apply verstehen to social analysis, which of the following would you be doing? a. Supporting the proletariat by bringing values into research. b. Employing understanding to gain the ability to see the world as others see it. c. Trying to enlighten others to the social facts around them. d. Acknowledging and promoting personal beliefs and biases. ____ 7. Who analyzed how social interactions vary as a function of the size of the social group? a. Georg Simmel b. Harriet Martineau c. Herbert Spencer d. Emile Durkheim ____ 8. What do sociologists call a set of logically interrelated statements that attempts to describe, explain, and (occasionally) predict social events? a. perspective b. hypothesis c. premise d. theory ____ 9. Suppose you took a functionalist perspective. How would you describe the social organization of a school division? a. An interrelated part that functions to serve the wider school system. b. A separate part functioning within the bureaucratic structure of public schools. c. A dysfunctional organization characterized by conflict. d. The sum of individual and group interactions within schools. ____ 10. With regard to the major sociological perspectives and what they say about the nature of society, the text points out which of the following? a. Conflict approaches focus on social cohesion and order. b. The functionalist perspective emphasizes social tension and www.notesolution.com
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit