SOC103 SOCIALIZATION AND SOCIAL INTERACTION.doc

2 Pages

Department
Sociology
Course Code
SOC 103
Professor
Tonya Davidson

This preview shows 80% of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.
Description
SOCIALIZATION AND SOCIAL INTERACTION module 4.1 BECOMING HUMAN 1. There are two basic approaches to understanding how we become human and how we develop our personality. These are the biological approach and the environmental approach, traditionally referred to as the nature versus nurture debate. 2. The nature argument suggests that much of our behaviour is determined by our genetic makeup. This argument is made by sociobiologists and evolutionary psychologists. 3. The nurture argument supports the position that we become who we are because of environmental influences. It points to the cases of feral children and children raised in isolation to show that these children cannot meet their potential without human interaction. module 4.2 THE DEVELOPMENT OF SELF 4. The self, or one’s identity, comprises a set of learned values and attitudes that develops through social interaction and that defines one’s self-image. 5. Self-image is an introspective composition of various features and attributes that we see as ourselves. 6. We can gain insight regarding the development of the self from both sociology and psychology. 7. Sociologist Charles Cooley introduced the concept of the looking-glass self—the idea that what we think of ourselves is influenced by how we imagine other people see us. 8. George Herbert Mead built on Cooley’s work. He introduced the concepts of I and me. The I is the element of the self that is spontaneous, creative, impulsive, and unpredictable. The me is the socialized element of the self. 9. Mead said that children pass through three distinct stages. Passing through these stages the child develops the me. 1 0. According to Mead, the first stage is the preparatory stage. In this stage, children imitate what they see around them, and the reactions of others contribute to the development of the I. 11. The second stage is the play stage. Children begin to role play and move from imitation to imagining the roles of the characters that they play. Language skills also develop, which allow a child to move to a higher u
More Less
Unlock Document

Only 80% of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit