Study Guides (275,964)
CA (151,050)
Ryerson (10,082)
SOC (519)
SOC 605 (19)
Final

SOC 605 Study Guide - Final Guide: Scientific Management, Parenting, Sandwich Generation

6 Pages
Summer 2012

Department
Sociology
Course Code
SOC 605
Professor
Kelly Train
Study Guide
Final

This preview shows pages 1-2. Sign up to view the full 6 pages of the document.
The law except for Quebec were all based on British law. However, we
started to see Canadian presence shortly after 1749.
There wasn’t any divorce law
The only person was allowed to get divorced Henry VIII. All of his male
children did not survive, this is the way he kept changing his wives. He
needed get divorced. However. Catholic church, in particularly Pope,
owned everyone and monarchs had to report and pay taxes to Pope. When
Henry went him to get a permission to get divorced, Pope turned him
down. This is the major reason why, he was appauled by the fact that
someone told him what to do. He pointed himself as Anglican church.
However, he was the only one who had a right to divorce. Which is why
there is no divorce.
There is no question about legitimacy or illegitimacy
Pre 1753-
a.
Divorce was private active parliament which meant you had to know
people who occupied parliament.
Available was only elite,
Husbands had committed in aggravated act such as sodomy-
code word for homosexual act-, incest, rape- it did not mean
that your husband rape you, it meant that your husbands raped
a virgin
However, you needed to prove
It was only for you and your particular circumstances- i.e. you are
extremely wealthy
1753-1857
b.
Suffragette established family courts which made divorce accessible to
middle class
Divorce was secularized as well as marriage. You did not have to religious
marriage ceremony.
However, women still need to prove their husbands committed in
aggravated adultery, vice versa wife-simple act adultery
1857-1870
c.
This is the period known as Victorian era
Women lost any kind of power they had. When you got married starting
from Victorian era, it was considered civil dead for women. Women lost
their property rights, husbands had the right to control women's legal
rights and wage.
I.e. calling women such as Mrs. George Bush- diminishing women's identity
There was no possibility for divorce- because they eliminated the all kinds
of divorce to reinforce patriarchy and nuclear family
1871-1910
d.
Women started to have rights like controlling their wage and property
1925-1968
e.
Divorce Law
1)
History of divorce and custody
June-07-12
1:02 AM
history of divorce and custody Page 1
Women started to have rights like controlling their wage and property
rights
However, divorce was a horrible social stigma. Despite the fact that
marriage was horrible for women, women avoid getting divorce
history of divorce and custody Page 2

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
History of divorce and custody June-07-12 1:02 AM 1) Divorce Law a. Pre 1753-  The law except for Quebec were all based on British law. However, we started to see Canadian presence shortly after 1749.  There wasn’t any divorce law  The only person was allowed to get divorced Henry VIII. All of his male children did not survive, this is the way he kept changing his wives. He needed get divorced. However. Catholic church, in particularly Pope, owned everyone and monarchs had to report and pay taxes to Pope. When Henry went him to get a permission to get divorced, Pope turned him down. This is the major reason why, he was appauled by the fact that someone told him what to do. He pointed himself as Anglican church. However, he was the only one who had a right to divorce. Which is why there is no divorce.  There is no question about legitimacy or illegitimacy b. 1753-1857  Divorce was private active parliament which meant you had to know people who occupied parliament.  Available was only elite,  It was only for you and your particular circumstances- i.e. you are extremely wealthy □ However, you needed to prove  Your wife was committed to simple act of adultery- you wife must supposedlycheat on you. In fact, even rumor made it appear to be true.  Husbands had committed in aggravated act such as sodomy- code word for homosexual act-, incest, rape- it did not mean that your husband rape you, it meant that your husbands raped a virgin c. 1857-1870  Suffragetteestablished family courts which made divorce accessible to middle class  Divorce was secularized as well as marriage. You did not have to religious marriage ceremony.  However, women still need to prove their husbandscommitted in aggravated adultery, vice versa wife-simple act adultery d. 1871-1910  This is the period known as Victorian era  Women lost any kind of power they had. When you got married starting from Victorian era, it was considered civil dead for women. Women lost their property rights, husbands had the right to control women's legal rights and wage.  I.e. calling women such as Mrs. George Bush- diminishing women's identity  There was no possibility for divorce- because they eliminated the all kinds of divorce to reinforcepatriarchy and nuclear family e. 1925-1968  Women started to have rights like controlling their wage and property  Women started to have rights like controlling their wage and property rights  However, divorce was a horrible social stigma. Despite the fact that marriage was horrible for women, women avoid getting divorce June-07-12 1:52 AM 2) Reason for divorce a. Ideological change- Thomas Main argument about men's choices and rights based on white, upper class men. In 1774, Marry wistencroft was respondingto Thomas by arguing women's were rational beings. This ideological change began to appear. Eventually100 years later, women with suffergate, had to cast vote b. Women's right- we started to see demands for equal rights. Respectively they had a voting right c. Socioeconomic change-Growth of service sector, welfare state and creating jobs for women allowed firstkind of socioeconomic change. Although these jobs were low paid, and part-time jobs. Women started to earn some money d. Women's employment- second wave of feminist-economic independencefor women. Feminists stated when women started to gain greater economic independency, that allows them not to stay with oppressive partner. Structural functionalistsaw this as a threat for social order and nuclear family. Because, women now were not getting married. 3) Divorce Acts a. 1968- The purpose was there was a huge public demand for divorce i. Divorce became availableto mass ii. However, the separation contract was problematic- this was where legal fees were out of control iii. You needed to be separated for three years. iv. The petition for divorce- which is the final step for divorce- in fact, nobody wanted to get the fault. v. Somebody had to be blamed for divorce. You had two choices: 1) Fault - if you decided to check this, you needed to fill in some subcategory- adultery, bestiality, sodomy, rape, homosexual act - separation agreement was available to public. Thus, peopledid not want to check one of these boxes Women got the half of the house and alimony- supposal support till she would get
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit