[SOC 808] - Midterm Exam Guide - Comprehensive Notes for the exam (11 pages long!)

933 views11 pages

Document Summary

Began with gathering and hunting (more of the food supply came from gathering both females and males hunted and gathered) Began with no surplus -> to domestication of animals & plants -> to a surplus of food. Surplus: less people required for food production, specialization, stratification (i. e. social hierarchy the division of classes) Some classes were more valuable than others -> warriors were the dominating class because they could protect the group, and were the decision makers: state functions. Population from 4 million to 100 million. Fordism: mass production and consumption; capitalism started to develop: because of the war, many people were hungry so food was mass produced. Mechanization (i. e. tractors, tools, etc. which minimized the amount of people/labour needed), chemical (i. e. fertilizers, pesticides, etc. ) and biological (e. g. breeding crops) manipulations minimized risks in agriculture. Corn: largest crop in the us -> shortly after wwii, corn became subsidized (i. e. gov. granted farmers money to assist in the business)