Department
Biological Sciences
Course Code
BISC 102
Professor
Ron Ydenberg
Study Guide
Midterm

This preview shows pages 1-3. Sign up to view the full 20 pages of the document.
!1
How to think about life on earth
“Brief summary”
-before science developed, most cultures explained life using myths in which supernatural
beings created humans and their world"
-what gradually disposed of these ancient beliefs, was science having its principle that ideas
must be tested against data"
-the central historical idea about relationships between the lifeforms on our planet is
summarized in “The Great Chain of Being”"
-arranges lifeforms in a hierarchy or ladder, with some “higher” or “better” than others"
-Aristotle "
-humans at the top, with only gods ranking higher"
-“The Enlightenment”"
-1700’s establishing modern science, medicine, philosophy, industry, political economy
and government"
-as the middle ages closed, scientists figures out that Earth rotated around the sun and that
the planet was very old and constantly changing"
-humans did not evolve from apes and we do not occupy a higher rung on the evolutionary
ladder"
-any two lifeforms on the planet must share a branching point at some point in the past"
-last universal common ancestor (LUCA) existed about 3800 mya"
-to be able to understand how life originated you need to learn the basics of metabolism"
-mostly about tracking electrons as they are moved from their source, along electron
transport chains and then passed o to receptor compounds"
-the atmosphere is “biogenic” - maintained by life"
-if all life became extinct, the atmosphere would quickly wind down to an equilibrium state
consisting almost entirely of carbon dioxide "
find more resources at oneclass.com
!2
"
IMPORTANT EVENTS SHAPING
EUROPEAN AND SCIENTIFIC WORLD
PRIOR TO DARWIN’S TIME
May 29, 1453
1347-49
Renaissance
Enlightenment
Industrial Revolution
‘Modern’ democracies emerge
major events of the precambrian
continental positions during the
phanerozoic
!3
"
major events of the phanerozoic eon

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
1 How to think about life on earth Brief summary before science developed, most cultures explained life using myths in which supernatural beings created humans and their world what gradually disposed of these ancient beliefs, was science having its principle that ideas must be tested against data the central historical idea about relationships between the lifeforms on our planet is summarized in The Great Chain of Being arranges lifeforms in a hierarchy or ladder, with some higher or better than others Aristotle humans at the top, with only gods ranking higher The Enlightenment 1700s establishing modern science, medicine, philosophy, industry, political economy and government as the middle ages closed, scientists gures out that Earth rotated around the sun and that the planet was very old and constantly changing humans did not evolve from apes and we do not occupy a higher rung on the evolutionary ladder any two lifeforms on the planet must share a branching point at some point in the past last universal common ancestor (LUCA) existed about 3800 mya to be able to understand how life originated you need to learn the basics of metabolism mostly about tracking electrons as they are moved from their source, along electron transport chains and then passed o to receptor compounds the atmosphere is biogenic maintained by life if all life became extinct, the atmosphere would quickly wind down to an equilibrium state consisting almost entirely of carbon dioxide
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-3 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit