6 Pages
Summer 2012

Department
Biomedical Physio & Kines
Course Code
BPK 110
Professor
Gina Whitaker

This preview shows pages 1-2. Sign up to view the full 6 pages of the document.
Chapter 1 & 2
All of the following are macronutrients except
Carbohydrates
Lipids
Protein
* Vitamins
Gram per gram blank provides the most k calories
Alcohol
Carbohydrates
* Lipids
Proteins
Which of the following statements regarding phytonutrients is true?
They are essential for life
They are always harmful to our health
* They are found in plant foods
They contribute to the calories that we eat in our diet
Which nutrient intake recommendation is used as a goal when a Recommended Dietary
Allowance does not exist?
Adequate Intake
* Estimated Average Requirement
Estimated Energy Requirement
Tolerable Upper Intake Level
Which of the following statements are written in the Canada Food Guide?
Avoid all fats whenever possible
* Eat at least two servings of fish each week
University students should add a multivitamin supplement to their diets
Juice is an equal substitute for fruit
Chapter 3
The organ that produces bile is the
Gallbladder
* Liver
Pancreas
Stomach
The function of pancreatic proteases is to
Break down proteins in the stomach
Break down proteins in the pancreas
* Break down proteins in the small intestine
Break down proteins in the last intestine
Factors that influence transit time through the GI tract include everything except
Composition of the meal
Emotional status of the individual
Use of certain medicines
* All of these influence transit time
Amylase is an enzyme that digests
Hormones
Proteins
* Carbohydrates
Fats
Yogurt is generally a good source of blank
Fiber
Prebiotics
* Probiotics
Vitamin E
Chapter 4
In a refined grain, which part always remains?
Germ
Bran
* Endosperm
All of the above
Foods high in added refined sugar
* Contain empty calories
Contain all of the vitamins and minerals from the original source of sugar
Are nutrient dense
Are just as good as those with natural added sugars
Complex carbohydrates include the following except
* Maltose
Lignin
Pectin
Cellulose
A drastic increase in fiber intake over a short period of time may result in
Jaw pain from increase chewing
*Increased intestinal gas
Sudden onset of iron-deficiency anemia
Low blood pressure from dehydration

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Chapter 1 & 2 All of the following are macronutrients except Carbohydrates Lipids Protein * Vitamins Gram per gram blank provides the most k calories Alcohol Carbohydrates * Lipids Proteins Which of the following statements regarding phytonutrients is true? They are essential for life They are always harmful to our health * They are found in plant foods They contribute to the calories that we eat in our diet Which nutrient intake recommendation is used as a goal when a Recommended Dietary Allowance does not exist? Adequate Intake * Estimated Average Requirement Estimated Energy Requirement Tolerable Upper Intake Level Which of the following statements are written in the Canada Food Guide? Avoid all fats whenever possible * Eat at least two servings of fish each week University students should add a multivitamin supplement to their diets Juice is an equal substitute for fruit Chapter 3 The organ that produces bile is the Gallbladder * Liver Pancreas Stomach The function of pancreatic proteases is to Break down proteins in the stomach Break down proteins in the pancreas * Break down proteins in the small intestine Break down proteins in the last intestine Factors that influence transit time through the GI tract include everything except Composition of the meal Emotional status of the individual Use of certain medicines * All of these influence transit time Amylase is an enzyme that digests Hormones Proteins * Carbohydrates Fats Yogurt is generally a good source of blank Fiber Prebiotics * Probiotics Vitamin E Chapter 4 In a refined grain, which part always remains? Germ Bran * Endosperm All of the above Foods high in added refined sugar * Contain empty calories Contain all of the vitamins and minerals from the original source of sugar Are nutrient dense Are just as good as those with natural added sugars Complex carbohydrates include the following except * Maltose Lignin Pectin Cellulose A drastic increase in fiber intake over a short period of time may result in Jaw pain from increase chewing *Increased intestinal gas Sudden onset of iron-deficiency anemia Low blood pressure from dehydration Chapter 5 Fatty acids contain all of the following atoms expect Hydrogen * Nitrogen Carbon Oxygen Which fatty acid is considered essential? Saturated * Alpha-linolenic Stearic Unsaturated To obtain essential fatty acids from the diet, the best choice would be * Salmon Beef Chicken Whole grains Which of the following statements about cholesterol is false? It is used to synthesize Vitamin D It is needed to make bile It is an essential component of animal cell membranes * It is found in peanut butter and avocados The transport of cholesterol to the liver for elimination is accomplished by Chylomicrons VLDLs * HDLs LDLs Chapter 7 Which of the following would not affect vitamin content in a food source? Boiling vegetables Soaking and rinsing rice Removing the peal in your apple * Chopping up your carrot rather than eating it whole Which of the following is a water soluble vitamin? * Vitamin C Thiamin Riboflavin Vitamin B12 All of the following are characteristics of water soluble vitamins except Dissolve freely in the blood * Are stored in cells associated with fat Toxicity
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit