Unit 1 – Study Questions
1. Define the following terms:
a. Organic : A compound that contains carbon
b. Essential nutrient: Substances that must be obtained from the diet because the
body either cannot make the nutrients or cannot make an adequate amount of the
c. Kilocalorie: The unit used to measure energy
2. What are the most influential factors on food choice?
- Environment, Sensory influences, Cognitive influences, Cultural
influences, health status and genetics
3. Discuss how the following factors affect the choices we make about the foods we eat:
advertising, social factors, and cultural influences.
4. List the six classes of nutrients.
5. A McDonald’s cheeseburger contains 36 g carbohydrate, 15 g of protein, and 13 g of fat.
a. Calculate the total energy it provides.
36g x 4=
15g x 4=
13 x 9=
b. Calculate the percent energy derived from fat.
6. Name and describe the types of scientific studies listed in your text.
7. Define blind, double blind, placebo, correlation, and peer review.
- Placebo—An inactive substance that