14 Pages
Fall 2013

Department
Biomedical Physio & Kines
Course Code
BPK 140
Professor
Mandana Salajegheh

This preview shows pages 1-3. Sign up to view the full 14 pages of the document.
Kin 140 Chapter 2 03/13/2014
Psychosocial health: encompasses the mental, emotional, social and spiritual, dimensions of health
Psychosocially healthy people:
Able to meet their own demands of life (ex. Going to class on time)
Feel comfortable with other people of different groups or ethnicity
Enjoy doing simple things that make other happy
Cherish things that make them smile (ex. Cards from others)
Respect environment and aspects of life
Unhealthy people:
Develop prejudice with certain types of people
Affects emotional health and mental health
Mental Health: people who take responsibility for themselves
Mentally healthy people:
Perceive things realistically
Able to use logical thinking
Don’t blame others for own mistakes and learn from mistakes
Sharp declines in rational thinking >> poor mental health
Emotions: physiological arousal, feelings, cognitive processes and behavioral reactions
Emotional Health:
Respond accurately to upsetting events
Able to control emotions and not let it overpower one’s self
Outcomes of poor emotional health:
Unable to hold on to relationships
Unable to handle stress from school
Emotionally unstable
Social health: Relating
Able to interact with others (in groups or individually)
Able to adapt to a variety of social settings
Health factors:
Social Bonds: nature of relationships and level of bonds
Social Supports: two types
Expressive: supportive and encouraging
Structural: ex. When parents give you money for doing good in school
People with higher degree with social supports can bounce back faster from events in life
Lack of social health = prejudice and bias towards individuals or groups
Spiritual Healthy people:
Search for meaning, connectedness, energy, and transcendence
Recognition of uniqueness, strengths and weaknesses in the universe
Takes time and effort to enhance spiritual health
Interconnectedness: connect to self, others and larger purpose
Mindfulness: Be fully present in the moment
Everyday life: Develop to out fullest potential
Believe in yourself, having hope in your life
Having faith
Having love without changing yourself or other people
Community: Living in harmony
Ex. Doing volunteering work
External Influences (things we do not have control over):
Includes:
Influences of the family:

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Kin 140 Chapter 2 03/13/2014 Psychosocial health: encompasses the mental, emotional, social and spiritual, dimensions of health Psychosocially healthy people: Able to meet their own demands of life (ex. Going to class on time) Feel comfortable with other people of different groups or ethnicity Enjoy doing simple things that make other happy Cherish things that make them smile (ex. Cards from others) Respect environment and aspects of life Unhealthy people: Develop prejudice with certain types of people Affects emotional health and mental health Mental Health: people who take responsibility for themselves Mentally healthy people: Perceive things realistically Able to use logical thinking Don’t blame others for own mistakes and learn from mistakes Sharp declines in rational thinking >> poor mental health Emotions: physiological arousal, feelings, cognitive processes and behavioral reactions Emotional Health: Respond accurately to upsetting events Able to control emotions and not let it overpower one’s self Outcomes of poor emotional health: Unable to hold on to relationships Unable to handle stress from school Emotionally unstable Social health: Relating Able to interact with others (in groups or individually) Able to adapt to a variety of social settings Health factors: Social Bonds: nature of relationships and level of bonds Social Supports: two types Expressive: supportive and encouraging Structural: ex. When parents give you money for doing good in school People with higher degree with social supports can bounce back faster from events in life Lack of social health = prejudice and bias towards individuals or groups Spiritual Healthy people: Search for meaning, connectedness, energy, and transcendence Recognition of uniqueness, strengths and weaknesses in the universe Takes time and effort to enhance spiritual health Interconnectedness: connect to self, others and larger purpose Mindfulness: Be fully present in the moment Everyday life: Develop to out fullest potential Believe in yourself, having hope in your life Having faith Having love without changing yourself or other people Community: Living in harmony Ex. Doing volunteering work External Influences (things we do not have control over): Includes: Influences of the family:  Healthy: loving Dysfunctional: never learn to trust others (since toddlers), difficulties in psychosocial health in the future Influences of the environment: Childhood environments Access to services and programs Personality may change in the future due to various events Internal Influences: Eg. personality traits, hormonal functioning, physical health High Self­efficiacy people: believe in themselves that they can do better >> high self esteem Low self­effeciacy people: don’t believe in themselves because I’ve tried it before and it never worked  (learned helplessness) Self­esteem: self respect or self worth Learned optimism: if overall successful in life >> do something challenging and believe you can do it Learned helplessness Personality: unique mix of characteristics that distinguishes people from each other Healthy traits:  Conscientiousness,  agreeableness,  openness to experience,  emotional stability extroversion: cares about other people too Resiliency and Developmental Assets Resiliency: ability to cope with events in life and are able to go back on track Assets: positive forces such as financial, emotional, spiritual and physical assets etc. >> high resiliency Developing and maintaining self esteem and efficacy Develop a support group and be supportive of others Complete required tasks: ex graduating from university Forming realistic expectations Make and take time for yourself Maintain physical health Getting adequate sleep Never skip breakfast: nutritious food Mind and Body: Science of Psychoneuroimmunology Negative emotions make us sick Stress >> depression Positive emotions make you feel better Boost immune system Physically happier Laughter effects stress hormones, heart and respiration rate Components of subjective well­being Satisfaction with present life Relative presence of positive emotions Relative absence of negative emotions Mental Illnesses Causes ex: abusive relationship, stress, anxiety, traumatic events, chemical imbalance, drug interactions Disorders affect thinking, feeling, moods and behaviours 1 in 5 Canadians will experience mental illness in their lives Depression: most common mental disorder Women have greater risk of depression than men Sadness, loss of interest, hopelessness, worthlessness Age 20­24 are at greater risk Endogenous: biochemical origin, ex low level of e
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-3 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit