11 Pages
Fall 2013

Department
Biomedical Physio & Kines
Course Code
BPK 140
Professor
Mandana Salajegheh

This preview shows pages 1-3. Sign up to view the full 11 pages of the document.
Physical activity for health, fitness, and performance
Almost 50% of Canadian population is considered physically inactive
Only 21% of teens are sufficiently active for optimal growth and development
Males are more likely to be active than females at all ages
Canadian children are more active than adolescents, who are more active than adults
Physical activity: body movements produced by skeletal muscles resulting in energy
expenditure
Exercise: planned, structured, and repetitive bodily movement done to improve or maintain one
or more component of physical fitness
Benefits of physical activity for health, can reduced risk of:
cardiovascular diseases by about 80%
diabetes
cancer
hypertensions: normal blood pressure = 120/80 mm Hg
ochronic high BP > 140/90 mmHg
oex. High blood pressure
obesity
depression
Osteoporosis: loss of bone density
premature death
Health components of physical fitness includes:
Cardiovascular fitness
Musculoskeletal strength
Musculoskeletal endurance
Flexibility
Body composition
Performance components of physical activity:
Exercises undertaken to increase power, agility, speed, coordination, balance and other aspects of
performance
Physical Activity for fitness:
Requires particular exercises for a particular length of time at a specific intensity and for a certain
number of times each week
Health Canada recommends 60 minutes of light effort physically activity or exercise per day to
maintain or improve health
Improved cardiovascular endurance:
Reduced risk of heart diseases
Prevention of hypertension
Systolic and diastolic blood pressure
Improved blood lipids and lipoprotein profile
Tri: not good
LDL: bad cholesterol
HDL: good cholesterol, type of lipids in fat not in food
Improved bone health
Osteoarthritis:
and osteoporosis: cartilage disorder (ex. Joints, knee caps)
Trans fatty acids
Benefits of regular physical activity
Improved weight management:
Direct effect on metabolic rate
People who eat a lot and don’t get fat have higher metabolic rates, they require more calories per
day and are able to burn off the excess energy

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Physical activity for health, fitness, and performance • Almost 50% of Canadian population is considered physically inactive • Only 21% of teens are sufficiently active for optimal growth and development • Males are more likely to be active than females at all ages • Canadian children are more active than adolescents, who are more active than adults Physical activity: body movements produced by skeletal muscles resulting in energy  expenditure Exercise: planned, structured, and repetitive bodily movement done to improve or maintain one  or more component of physical fitness Benefits of physical activity for health, can reduced risk of: • cardiovascular diseases by about 80% • diabetes • cancer • hypertensions: normal blood pressure = 120/80 mm Hg  o chronic high BP > 140/90 mmHg o ex. High blood pressure • obesity • depression • Osteoporosis: loss of bone density • premature death Health components of physical fitness includes: Cardiovascular fitness Musculoskeletal strength Musculoskeletal endurance Flexibility Body composition Performance components of physical activity: Exercises undertaken to increase power, agility, speed, coordination, balance and other aspects of  performance Physical Activity for fitness: Requires particular exercises for a particular length of time at a specific intensity and for a certain  number of times each week Health Canada recommends 60 minutes of light effort physically activity or exercise per day to  maintain or improve health Improved cardiovascular endurance: Reduced risk of heart diseases Prevention of hypertension Systolic and diastolic blood pressure Improved blood lipids and lipoprotein profile Tri: not good LDL: bad cholesterol HDL: good cholesterol, type of lipids in fat not in food Improved bone health Osteoarthritis:  and osteoporosis: cartilage disorder (ex. Joints, knee caps) Trans fatty acids Benefits of regular physical activity Improved weight management: Direct effect on metabolic rate People who eat a lot and don’t get fat  have higher metabolic rates, they require more calories per  day and are able to burn off the excess energy Energy may be used for heart to pump blood etc EER = BMR + TEF + PA 60­70% of energy we consume goes to BMR Improved health and life span: Prevention of type 2 diabetes Increased longevity Improved immunity to disease J­shaped curve Improved mental health and stress management Improving cardiorespiratory endurance Cardiorespiratory Endurance: ability of heart, lungs, and blood vessels to function  efficiently Aerobic Power: Maximum aerobic power: VO2 max Graded exercise test: test of aerobic capacity administered by a physician, exercise physiologist or  other trained person Determining exercise frequency examples: Running, swimming,  Determining exercise intensity: Target heart rate (70­90% HR max) HR max = (220/226, m/f) – Age Determining exercise time: 20­30 minutes Frequency, Intensity, or time?: First increase frequency, then length, then intensity Improving muscular strength and endurance Muscular strength and endurance: Musculoskeletal health: strength, endurance, flexibility Muscular strength One repetition maximum (1RM) Muscular endurance: ability of muscles to produce certain amount of force Principles of strength development 1. The tension principle: must produce tension 2. The overload principle: most important if you want to improve the strength of  your muscles i. Ex. Goal to lift is 40 lbs, start practicing at 20 lbs and add a few pounds every  time when you feel comfortable to ii. Muscles will get bigger 3. The specificity of training principle 4. The recovery principle Types of muscle contractions: 1. Isometric contraction: joint/muscle doesn’t move 2. Concentric contractions: muscle shortens a. Ex. Sit ups 3. Eccentric contraction: muscle lengthens Methods of providing resistance Body weight resistance: ex. Push ups (no equipment required) Fixed resis
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-3 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit