Premium

2 Pages

Department
Biological Sciences
Course Code
BISC 102
Professor
Erin Barley

This preview shows half of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.
Lec 11: Genetics II
1. Gregor Mendel (1822-1884)
- Interested in inheritance
- Pea plants: easy to grow + breed, 7 characteristics with discrete traits
- He noted “factors” [genes] were discrete, heritable, produced predictable ratios
- Most phenotypic characters much more complex than Mendel’s pea characteristics.
2. Pedigrees
- X chromosome larger and has more genes than Y
- Assume dominance, X-linked
- Autosomal dominant: at least one parent is affected, every generation
3. Correcting misconceptions about dominant + recessive alleles
- Dominant + recessive alleles equally likely to be passed on, both expressed. Frequency of an allele is
independent of whether it is dominant or recessive.
Lec 12: Population Genetics
- Study of allele frequencies + changes to allele frequencies in populations
- Can predict genotype frequencies from allele frequencies (if not evolving)
- Genotype (C^R C^R), observed (320), HW (p^2), proportion (.8^2), expected (proportion x total of all
observed), (O-E)^2/E
- Frequency of alleles. Ex. f(C^R) = p = [2(320) + 160]/3(500). p + q calculated from observed.
- Observed = expected ----> hardy-weinberg equilibrium
- HWE = null model. X^2 < 3.84
Lec 13: Microevolution
- Evolution at the level of alleles
- Evolution = change in allele frequency in a given population over time.
1. Causes of change in allele frequency?
- Natural selection
- Genetic drift
- Gene flow
2. How do new alleles arise in a species?
- Mutations
- Horizontal gene transfer
3. HWE assumptions (not evolving)
- No mutations
- Random mating
- No natural selection
- Large population
- No gene flow
4. 3 modes of natural selection? - Adaptive
- Directional selection (one phenotype more/less fit)
- Disruptive selection (both phenotypic extremes most fit)
- Stabilizing selection (both phenotypic extremes are least fit)
5. What is genetic drift? - Non-adaptive
- Change in allele frequencies due to chance events
- Random, not result of fitness advantages/disadvantages
- Effects strongest in small population that stays small
- Reduces genetic diversity in a population + can fix alleles
- Alleles fixed when it has a frequency of 1.0
6. Special case of genetic drift: Founder effect

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Lec 11: Genetics II 1. Gregor Mendel (1822-1884) - Interested in inheritance - Pea plants: easy to grow + breed, 7 characteristics with discrete traits - He noted factors [genes] were discrete, heritable, produced predictable ratios - Most phenotypic characters much more complex than Mendels pea characteristics. 2. Pedigrees - X chromosome larger and has more genes than Y - Assume dominance, X-linked - Autosomal dominant: at least one parent is affected, every generation 3. Correcting misconceptions about dominant + recessive alleles - Dominant + recessive alleles equally likely to be passed on, both expressed. Frequency of an allele is independent of whether it is dominant or recessive. Lec 12: Population Genetics - Study of allele frequencies + changes to allele frequencies in populations - Can predict genotype frequencies from allele frequencies (if not evolving) - Genotype (C^R C^R), observed (320), HW (p^2), proportion (.8^2), expected (proportion x total of all observed), (O-E)^2/E - Frequency of alleles. Ex. f(C^R) = p = [2(320) + 160]/3(500). p + q calculated from observed. - Observed = expected ----> hardy-weinberg equilibrium - HWE = null model. X^2 < 3.84 Lec 13: Microevolution - Evolution at the level of alleles - Evolution = change in allele frequency in a given population over time. 1. Causes of change in allele frequency? - Natural selection - Genetic drift - Gene flow 2. How do new alleles arise in a species? - Mutations - Horizontal gene transfer 3. HWE assumptions (not evolving) - No mutations - Random mating - No natural selection - Large population - No gene flow 4. 3 modes of natural selection? - Adaptive - Directional selection (one phenotype more/less fit) - Disruptive selection (both phenotypic extremes most fit) - Stabilizing selection (both phenotypic extremes are least fit) 5. What is genetic drift? - Non-adaptive - Change in allele frequencies due to chance events - Random, not result of fitness advantages/disadvantages - Effects strongest in small population that stays small - Reduces genetic diversity in a population + can fix alleles - Alleles fixed when it has a frequency of 1.0 6. Special case of genetic drift: Founder effect - Small founder population compared to large parent population: lower diversity + different allele frequency compared with parent population - The smaller the founding population, more likely alleles different from those of parent population - Founding populations = small - Migration from parent population does not affect allele frequency in parent population 7. Special case of genetic drift: Bottleneck effect - High homozygosity - Population becomes small very quickly ---> allele frequencies may change due to chance events. 8. What is gene flow? - Non-adaptive - Movement of alleles among populations - Can increase/decrease fitness of population - Ie. great tit. Birds in west introduced to less fit genes from mainland great tit. 9. Mutations (harmful, neutral, beneficial). Types of mutations? - Point mutations - Gene duplication - Genome duplication 10. Point mutations: mutation of single base pair ---> changes single amino acid ---> chan
More Less
Unlock Document

Only half of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit