Study Guides (390,000)
CA (150,000)
SFU (5,000)
BUS (800)
BUS 272 (90)
Midterm

BUS 272 Study Guide - Midterm Guide: Operant Conditioning, Interactional Justice, Flextime

Department
Business Administration
Course Code
BUS 272
Professor
Lieketen Brummelhuis
Study Guide
Midterm

This preview shows page 1. to view the full 4 pages of the document.
Equity Theory: A theory that says that individuals compare their job inputs and outcomes those of others and then
respond to eliminate any inequalities.
If we perceive our ratio to be equal to that of the relevant others with whom we compare ourselves, a state of
equity is said to exist. We perceive our situation as fair and justice prevails. When we see the ratio as unequal, we
experience equity tension. When we see ourselves as underewarded, the tension creates anger. Overrewarded
equals guilt.
There are 4 referrent comparisons that an employee can use:
1. Self inside: A eploee’s epeiees i diffeet a positio iside his/he uet ogaizatio
2. Self-outside: A eploee’s epeiees i a situatio o positio outside his/he uet ogaizatio
3. Other-inside: Aothe idiidual o goup of idiiduals iside the eploee’s ogaizatio
4. Other-outside: Aothe idiidual’s o goup of idiiduals outside the eploee’s ogaizatio
Which referent an employee chooses will be influenced the information the employee holds about the referents,
as well as the attractiveness of the referent.
Gender: research shows that both women and men prefer same-sex comparisons
Length of tenure: employees with short tenure tend to have little information about others inside the
organization so they rely heavily on their personal experiences.
What happens when we feel treated inequitably?
Change their inputs: exert less effort if underpaid, more if overpaid
Change their outcomes: individuals paid on a iece rate basis can increase their pay by producing higher
quantity of units of lower quality
Adjust perceptions of self: I used to thik I oked at a odeate pae ut now I realize I work a lot
hade tha eeoe else
Adjust perceptions of others: Mikes jo is’t as desiale as I thought
Choose a different referent: I may not make as much as my best friend but I make a lot more than my
father did at my age
Leave the field: quit the job
Distributive justice: the peeied faiess of the aout ad alloatio of eads aog idiiduals. I got the
pa aise I deseed
Procedural justice: The perceived fairness of the process used to determine the distribution of eads I had the
iput ito the poess used to gie aises ad as gie a good eplaatio of h I eeied the aise I did
Interactional justice: The peeied ualit of the itepesoal teatet eeied fo a aage. Whe tellig
me about  aise,  supeio as e ie ad oplieta
Organizational justice: An overall perception of what is fair in the workplace, composed of distributive, procedural,
ad iteatioal justie. I thik this is a fai plae to ok
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version