final notes.doc

2 Pages
Unlock Document

Simon Fraser University
Computing Science
CMPT 300
Richard Vaughan

CMPT 300 – Chapter 1 – Introduction Operating System: ■ Presents a virtual machine, abstracted from the hardware ■ Hides and extends the computer hardware ■ Adds filesystems, processes, users, etc ■ manages computer resources ■ restricts access to the computer ■ consumes system resources (creating overhead) ■ OS provides a variety of services that programs can obtain using “system calls.” ■ Components: ■ OS: Kernel ■ Grey Area: Command interpreters, GUI ■ NOT OS: Compliers, Editors, Applications ■ Purpose: ■ Originally: Maximize utilization of computer ■ Now: Make computer easy to use, by abstraction (processes, files), libraries,… ■ Definitions: ■ Multiprogramming: Having different programs in memory and running them. ■ Timesharing: Ability of the computer to be used by multiple ppl simultaneously Computer Hardware ■ CPU: ■ Steps: Fetch instruction, Fetch data, Execute, Store results, Goto 1 ■ Components: Control unit, arithmetic logic unit, registers (instruction, PC, Stack Ptr, PSW) ■ Most communications with Memory ■ Full CPU Cycle: Interrupts: Happen on a clock interrupt or an I/O interrupt. When a process requires I/O, CPU sets up an interrupt handler, and blocks the process. The interrupt handler copies the information for the current program and runs the next program. When I/O for the last program is done, the interrupt handler runs the interrupt for the new program. ■ Memory: ■ Should be fast and cheap ■ Types: Registers, Cache, Main memory, Disk – All managed by memory management Two problems: ■ Protection Problem: Access to memory for diff programs needs to be under control ■ Relocation Problem: Addresses in memory need to start from the start address of the progrm ■ Base and Limit registers are used to solve both of these problems Speed of memory is affected by
More Less

Related notes for CMPT 300

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.