These notes cover everything up to the first midterm Chapters 1-6

30 Pages

Department
Criminology
Course Code
CRIM 101
Professor
Sheri Fabian

This preview shows pages 1-3. Sign up to view the full 30 pages of the document.
What is Criminology?
Examines crime as a social phenomenon
Includes:
oMaking laws
oBreaking laws
oReacting to breaking laws
Scientific study of human behaviour, crime causation, crime prevention, and punishment
and rehabilitation of offenders
Our definition of criminology
Interdisciplinary profession built around scientific study of crime and criminal behaviour
oIncludes form, causes, legal aspects, and control
The primary criminological specialties/approaches
Sociology
Psychology
Biology
Economics
Geography/environment
Political science
Law
Objectives of criminology
To develop body of general and verified principles regarding processes of law, crime and
treatment
Primary focus on causes of crime and criminality
Components of discipline of criminology
Six main areas
www.notesolution.com
oDefining crime and criminals
oOrigins and role of law
oSocial distribution of crime
oCauses of crime
oPatterns of criminal behaviour
oSocietal reactions to crime
Why do we need to study crime?
To better understand out social lives
oBoth criminal behaviours and societys responses to these behaviours
If we understand crime, we are better equipped to prevent it
Know how to allocate resources
Crime affects everyone
Things to know from chapter 1
Define criminology
What criminologists study
The role or rules
How rules become formal laws
How we define crime
Differences between crime and deviance
Meaning of “crime is socially defined”
How crime changes over time
3 theoretical perspectives of criminology
2 perspectives of crime causation
www.notesolution.com
What is crime?
An act that violates criminal law and is punishable by sanctions
What is deviance?
oBehaviour that violates social norms
Continuum of crime and deviance
Three main forms of law
Civil law
oRegulates arrangements between individuals
Criminal law
oRegulates actions with potential to harm state interests
Administrative law
oRegulates daily business activities
Criminal Law
Body of jurisprudence that
odefines crimes
ospecifies penalties
oprovides general principles regarding criminal responsibility
oprovides defences to criminal charges
Types of criminal laws
Indictable offences
Summary conviction offences (max 6 months)
Super summary conviction offence (max 18 months)
Hybrid offences (Crown chooses to proceed as summary conviction or indictment)
Sources of criminal law
www.notesolution.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
What is Criminology? Examines crime as a social phenomenon Includes: o Making laws o Breaking laws o Reacting to breaking laws Scientific study of human behaviour, crime causation, crime prevention, and punishment and rehabilitation of offenders Our definition of criminology Interdisciplinary profession built around scientific study of crime and criminal behaviour o Includes form, causes, legal aspects, and control The primary criminological specialties/approaches Sociology Psychology Biology Economics Geography/environment Political science Law Objectives of criminology To develop body of general and verified principles regarding processes of law, crime and treatment Primary focus on causes of crime and criminality Components of discipline of criminology Six main areas www.notesolution.com o Defining crime and criminals o Origins and role of law o Social distribution of crime o Causes of crime o Patterns of criminal behaviour o Societal reactions to crime Why do we need to study crime? To better understand out social lives o Both criminal behaviours and societys responses to these behaviours If we understand crime, we are better equipped to prevent it Know how to allocate resources Crime affects everyone Things to know from chapter 1 Define criminology What criminologists study The role or rules How rules become formal laws How we define crime Differences between crime and deviance Meaning of crime is socially defined How crime changes over time 3 theoretical perspectives of criminology 2 perspectives of crime causation www.notesolution.com What is crime? An act that violates criminal law and is punishable by sanctions What is deviance? o Behaviour that violates social norms Continuum of crime and deviance Three main forms of law Civil law o Regulates arrangements between individuals Criminal law o Regulates actions with potential to harm state interests Administrative law o Regulates daily business activities Criminal Law Body of jurisprudence that o defines crimes o specifies penalties o provides general principles regarding criminal responsibility o provides defences to criminal charges Types of criminal laws Indictable offences Summary conviction offences (max 6 months) Super summary conviction offence (max 18 months) Hybrid offences (Crown chooses to proceed as summary conviction or indictment) Sources of criminal law www.notesolution.com Federal legislation o Criminal Code and other federal statutes Quasi-criminal law o Regulatory offense (ex. Driving offences) Common law o Judge-made law/case law The Charter of Rights and Freedoms Emphasizes individual rights o State should not abuse its power or its citizens o Judicial power to invalidate law that unjustifiable infringes protected rights of individuals Limits to legalistic approach to law Misses social, moral, and individual significance of immoral behaviour Role of power o Those in power create, enforce, and determine what is prohibited by law Formalized laws fairly recent development Role of rules in society Identify behaviours against the law Exemplify social norms Allows responses to those who break rules Continuum of crime and deviance Where fits continuum based on o Severity of societal response www.notesolution.com
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-3 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit