CRIM 220 Study Guide - Comprehensive Final Guide: Statistical Conclusion Validity, Construct Validity, Empirical Measure

131 views47 pages

Document Summary

Chapte(cid:396) 1 c(cid:396)i(cid:373)e, c(cid:396)i(cid:373)i(cid:374)al justice, a(cid:374)d scie(cid:374)tific i(cid:374)(cid:395)ui(cid:396)y. Experiential reality things we know from direct experience. Agreement reality things we consider real because we"ve been told they"re real and everyone else seems to agree they"re real. E. g. , preventive police patrol police do not prevent all crime but it is a commonsense belief that police visibility will prevent some crimes. Empirical: knowledge based on experience and observation. Assertion must have both logical and empirical support. It must make sense and it must agree with actual observations. Methodology: science of finding out, methods used to understand something. Culture made up of firmly accepted knowledge. Spared from starting from scratch but may hinder human inquiry. Trust the judgment of experts with credentials in the face of contradictory arguments. We are sloppy observers fail to observe things right in front of us. Assuming that a few similar events are evidence of a general pattern.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers