Criminology
Course
CRIM 251
Professor
Kash Heed
Semester
Fall

Description
Midterm review (t/f, MC, Written ) 1) First actual Police constables and where were they? (in the book) a. Quebec in the 1600’s 2) When did B.C. have its first organized police force? a. 1858 3) Know at least 3 of Peels Principles a. The police are the public and the public are the police b. The basic mission of the police is to prevent crime and disorder c. The ability of the police to perform their duties depends upon public approval of their actions d. The test of police efficiency is the absence of crime and disorder 4) Everyone Knows the Make-up of police in Canada, theres a: a. Federal Force b. Provincial force c. Regional/ metropolitan force d. Municipal force e. First Nation 5) Everyone knows which provinces are on contracted with the RCMP and which have their own provincial police force? a. CONTRACTED i. All provinces and territories except b. OWN POLICE FORCE i. QPP – Quebec Provincial Police ii. OPP – Ontario Provincial Police iii. And a portion of Newfoundland/Labrador (Royal Newfoundland Constabulary) 6) Know that every province has to have a provincial police force based on the constitution act of 1867 which is also known as? a. British North America Act (BNA act) 7) Police have specific mandates, police are created by specific statues; you should really understand what the legal mandate for police are here in Canada? 8) In the book they talk about the framework for understanding policing in Canada(p.4 look at 4 key values), make sure your aware of that a. Justice: the police are there to maintain peace and security in the community while ensuring that individuals are treated fairly and that human rights are respected b. Equality: All citizens are entitled to policing services that contribute to their feelings of safety and security. c. Accountability: The actions of the police services, and the police officers, are subject to review d. Efficiency/effectiveness: Policing services must be cost effective 9) Remember police and corrections really are the only 2 components in the CJS that can take away your rights a. Remember these other components in the CJS don’t have these power (i.e. take away your freedoms like police officers do) 10) Also in the book they talk about the Legislative Framework (p.5); Remember that framework defines the roles & responsibilities of police officers. So you need to List and Describe the specifics of that Framework (12 marks) (6 points in book so probably 2 marks each) a. The Charter of Rights and Freedoms (the Law of the Land) i. Guarantees basic rights and freedoms for EVERY citizen b. The Constitution Act 1867 i. Sets out responsibilities of Federal (create laws/procedures) & Provincial (administer justice) gov’s in the area of Criminal Justice c. The Criminal Code i. Sets out the criminal laws & procedures for administering justice d. Other Federal Statutes i. Include Anti-terrorism Act, the controlled drugs and substances act & Canadian Youth Justice Act e. Provincial and Municipal Legislation i. Provincial = Police Act, Provincial Acts; ii. Municipal = Boards, By-Laws f. RCMP Act i. This provides the Legislative Framework for the operations of the RCMP, also contains provisions relating to Public Complaints Commission (PCC) & External Review Committee (ERC) 11) A lot of factors affect policing and what police officers do; there are a lot of outside influences on policing; you Should know what SOME of the political factors are that affect Policing. (In the book) a. All the police services are under the control of the local and provincial political authorities, EXCEPT RCMP b. City councils (which are under political control) controls the budget of municipal police services c. The police are mandated to enforce the criminal law, which reflects political values and political ends d. The police administer the law e. The chief constable and the senior executive of the police service must be aware/sensitive to the political dynamics that may affect their ability to secure resources 12) Your Asked to describe the structure of policing in Canada (right in the book) a. Public policing in Canada is carried out at four levels: i. Federal (RCMP) Contract policing 1. Federal policing, Peacekeeping, Protective Services ii. Provincial 1. All Provinces must have a Provincial service ; OPP, QPP, RNC, and RCMP Contracts iii. Regional (metropolitan) 1. Amalgamation of police services, Metro areas, Very political in BC iv. Municipal 1. Jurisdiction within municipal boundaries, Standalone/contract services from Provincial force v. First Nations 1. In all Provinces 13) Know how police services are held accountable a. Usually police commissions and police boards b. They are held accountable through: i. Political accountability 1. To governing authorities ii. Legal accountability 1. To the law through the courts and judiciary iii. Accountability to administrative agencies 1. Including complaints commissions, human rights commissions, prov. police commissions etc. iv. Direct public accountability 1. (directly to the public [FOI]) v. Special ad hoc accountability 1. Through processes such as royal commissions and other public inquiries 14) Remember I said the Police are just one component of the CJS -> you should understand what some of the other components are and you should understand how police differ from those other components ( are about 3-4 pages in text that flush it out real well) a. Other components include courts and corrections b. Police differ in a number of factors, including: i. Police work is carried out in diverse environments ii. Police have the authority to detain people iii. Have the authority to use force, including deadly force iv. Police work is carried out 24/7 (every hour of every day of every year) v. personal contact with the general population vi. must make split second decisions or decisions based on limited info vii. Conflict, crisis/chaos, disease, death viii. Much more than just law enforcement 15) We talked
More Less

Related notes for CRIM 251

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit