Hist- Ch 5
&&&writing assignment:ch 8 and 10 from writing history guide.&&&
- Nova Scotia,New Brunswick,little bit of Maine.
- found in 1600s,by Pierre dumont and Samuel champlain.
- French by 1667
- Little state support
- own alliances with natives
- independent attitudes,especially towards authority.
- small,dispersed population
- see-sawed France--England
- small garrisons:
- 55 Seigneuries,no real effort to establish the class system from France,like in St.
- formed relationships with aboriginals in the area,forming Metis.
- Detached from main New France colony due to british-french ownership
The French in Newfoundland
- 17th century,south coast
- migratory ﬁshery
- training for seamen
- Plaisance:colony established on the southwest coast of Canada.Protected
ﬁshery,some residents (admin,troops and ﬁshing families.)
- Colbert realized the value of the ﬁshing industry.
French Colonial Policy
- shift,late 1600s- mid 1700s
- struggle over territorial control
Difﬁculties in FurTrade
- competition (couriers de bois--- unlicensed,trying to cut out native middlemen
by getting furs by themselves,and missionaries and explorers.)
- social problems (trade in alcohol,loss of farm labour,loss of power from
- restricting alcohol trade -Amnesty to couriers de bois,trying to encourage them to return.
- ineffective,most couriers de bois stayed out of the colony and expand.
Frontenac,governor of Quebec
Rene-Robert Chevalier de la salle
- sent by frontenac to explore,trading along Mississippi,
- alliances with Illinois upset French-Iroquois trade (increasing tensions)
---- Escalating violences,1689s-1690s
War of the League ofAugsburg,1689-1697
- Louis XIV wants to expand territories and spread catholicism.
-War with Protestant states
- Fighting in colonies,territories lost,returned byTreaty of Ryswick,1697
- League ofAugsburg:Protestant states,mostly Britain and the Netherlands.
-War of the league ofAugsburg:European affair,between protestant states and
the Catholic French.
- British invadeAcadia and other states,English fort in Hudson's bay captured by
French,treaty returns all original colonies
Frontenac:fortiﬁed trading posts in interior and forms new alliances with Natives.
This backﬁres when the Natives plan their own military and trade systems.
- Iroquois counter-alliances
- Increasing hostilities
- Severe threat to Frenc